Author Topic: Gearbox Modification/replacement Seat 600  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Florian

• 1800 cc
Gearbox Modification/replacement Seat 600
« on: December 19, 2004, 12:08:49 pm »
Sorry,

I had choosen the wrong forum for my question.
Guy, havve thougt about publishing the plan for the R5 gearbox? I´ve already finishing the bodywork in my car and I´m not sure, if I have to do some modification on it, to fit the R5 box. I don´t hope so, because perhaps someday I have "cash flow" to buy a 5-gear kit for the original 600 box.

So, It would be really great, if you would give me some tips or post the plans on your site.
I even  would by them, if you want.

Just an other question: Anybody has expiriences with an Angsten 4-port head? They where built for A112 cars in the 80´s I think

Regards,

Florian

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
4 port head
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 04:39:45 am »
Florian,

I presume you mean 4 intake ports and 4 exhaust ports?  Do you know what country it was produced in?

Paul vander Heyden

Offline Florian

• 1800 cc
Gearbox Modification/replacement Seat 600
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:39:16 pm »
It was a german company that  - as far as I know- doesn´t exist anymore. The name is Angsten Motorsport and they modified the serial A112 Abarth head into a four port head with four intakes.

What I would like to know, is how it was made or if anybody has some fotos. I have an x-ray foto of a serial head and I think modifying it, is not very complicated ( it woun't be easy, but not impossible:).

Florian

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
Re: Gearbox Modification/replacement Seat 600
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 04:28:18 pm »
Florian,

Basically the head is welded up and then new passages are machined in the head.  To do this correctly the head would have to be heat treated afterwards, as the welding process would anneal (soften) the material.

This is why we make the PBS 8P head.  It is cast with 4 intake ports and then heat treated, after which all of the machining operations are done. 

Kind regards,

Paul
www.scuderiatopolino.com

Offline alapimba

• 1800 cc
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:18:06 pm »
the r5 gearbox is not an easy job.
you have to use half of bellhousing from fiat 600 gear and half from r5. you have to modify under the car so the gear has space. the gear selector has to be costume too...
If your body work is done forget about the r5 gearbox. just buy a 9/39 or 9/41 diferencial or something like that.
It's the simpler and cheaper i guess.

Offline DaveA

• 1800 cc
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:59 am »
I would love to see how the R5 box fits ,

How much do you need to move the pivot point for the trailing arms ?

What did you use for axles and axle joints ?

Thanks for your help

Dave

Offline alapimba

• 1800 cc
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:40:02 am »
i don't have a r5 gearbox on my car, but i know one man that has it.. the info he gave me its the one i shared with you :)

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:45:56 am »
Dave

You could also use the gearbox from a Renault Alpine.  I have a customer in New Zealand who has done this conversion.  Generally these gearboxes use a LOBRO type 6-bolt, 92mm CV joint at the transmission end of the axle and some other, either REPCO or LOBRO joint at the wheel end of the axle.  You could use a Fiat 128 front axle and bearing assembly and then make up your own bearing carrier.  Any installation like this will require some adaptation, as there will be nothing that is a ready-made kit.  The same goes for the shift mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Paul Vanderheijden
www.scuderiatopolino.com

Digital2