Author Topic: progress on my 1000OTS/PBS 124  (Read 3408 times)

Offline 400trip

• 1800 cc
progress on my 1000OTS/PBS 124
« on: June 13, 2010, 04:36:01 am »
Im plugging along with my Abarth project...
I have a sand blaster at work, which made refinishing the bigger parts (battery cover, engine sling) easier...
The Lucas aux fan runs fine after 40 years, and Im attacking the body rust as I find it...
I found a bottle of Turtle Wax color-back wax at the toxic waste dump where I live(you can take what others have left, no charge) and it really works well on the neglected paint!
Im going to use my spare 124A block, and use oversize 1197 pistons (now about 1230cc) because that's what PBS used in thier original conversion, but Im still scratching my head over the 124 clutch disc with the 850 center that they used, same as Abarth did with the 124/1300 conversions, maybe PBS used Abarth parts before they decided to use a 124 input shaft on the 850 gearbox, as the later PBS 124 conversions had...
My friend at work told me that his Dad has an "extrude-hone" business, and I can get my cylinder head treated at a greatly reduced cost! ( he drives an old elcamino with a 305, but the heads have been treated, and it runs really good!), so with my hot cam, this might be my opportunity to make a really hot 1197cc 124, which should be peaky enough to let the stock driveshafts live a little while...

Im going to keep going with the free labor until more funds are available, Im collecting aluminum at work that I can use for heat shields for the exhaust and intake systems, and Im making a neat air filter that you all should like, utilizing the stock 32 DCOF carb...
Im extremely lucky to have this car, and Im going to make it worthy of the fine history and Marque that it deserves...
Chris

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
Re: progress on my 1000OTS/PBS 124
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »
keep them running,the are made for it.Not sitting in a barn
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Digital2