Author Topic: What oil to use  (Read 3316 times)

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
What oil to use
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:43:43 am »
Hello,

I would like to ask what is the best oil to use in a A112 1050 engine. Semisynthetic 10w30 is what Fiat suggested for that engine back at it's time I think. A brand suggestion would be good too.
The car is a road use weekend car

Thank you,

Chris
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
Re: What oil to use
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 06:32:17 am »
Ask a hundred guys and you'll get 100 answers, but my understanding is that for an older engine without roller bearing cam followers you need more ZDDP than is in most modern oils.

I have asked this question on bobistheoilguy.com and everyone seems to agree that the current 15W-40 gas/diesel oils such as Shell Rotella ( or Delo or Delvac by other manufacturers) are the best choice for these engines.

If you live somewhere where it gets cold or you want to have really great flow at startup you can use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40.  I use that in my Dino and the non-synthetics in my Pantera and Autobianchi engines here in Southern California.

Of course you can always go with Red Line or the other specialty oils, but you really are just wasting your money unless you flog the car and overheat the oil.

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:31:42 pm »
Hi Chris,

I *think* the better choice of oils these days is oil intended for a deisel engine.  This is what Paul van der Heyden recommends.  You can find a post/thread on this topic in the Fiat 850 Yahoo groups email forum and I believe Paul has some info. on this on his website too.  I was just reading Paul's tech. forum yesterday on recommended oil for transaxles also, which is a good read.

Regards,
Gil Nicholls

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:37:52 pm »
Hi Jim,

sorry to change the topic, but I saw a youtube clip yesterday that I think had your car in it.  The clip about checkcing play in the wheel bearings.

Just wondering about the rear fender flares you have.  Are they done in fiberglass or was the original sheet metal modified?  I have a pair of the fiberglass ones but would rather do them in metal.  I have a pair of metal fender patch panels and was thinking of getting someone to pound them out to match the fiberglass ones and then I could section them into the existing bodywork.

Were your inner fender wells removed (on the outside portion) to provide more tire clearance?  What wheels and tires do you have on the car?

Thanks,
Gil Nicholls

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:45 am »
The tires are Toyo Proxes RA1, 185/60-13.
The wheels are Cromodora, 6" rear, 5" front
The fenders are as they were when I got the car, so I don't know what was done to create them. But they are metal with the edge "rolled" to create clearance for the tires.  These tires BARELY  clear the fender.  When I got the car it had smaller race slicks on it, and I don't know if it was pure luck that these larger tires cleared the fenders or the builders had these tires in mind.

The inner fender liners were not removed from what I can see.  They might have been trimmed a bit where they join the upper fender lip-- one would probably have to compare side by side to know.  It looks to me like the center portion of the inner fender liner is what one sees from inside the car, so if that had been completely removed you'd see the tire from inside and it would sling dirt all over.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Hi Jim,

sorry to change the topic, but I saw a youtube clip yesterday that I think had your car in it.  The clip about checkcing play in the wheel bearings.

Just wondering about the rear fender flares you have.  Are they done in fiberglass or was the original sheet metal modified?  I have a pair of the fiberglass ones but would rather do them in metal.  I have a pair of metal fender patch panels and was thinking of getting someone to pound them out to match the fiberglass ones and then I could section them into the existing bodywork.

Were your inner fender wells removed (on the outside portion) to provide more tire clearance?  What wheels and tires do you have on the car?

Thanks,
Gil Nicholls

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:42:11 am »
Thank you for your answers.
I have one more question though. Has anyone of you tryied out an oil additive like "Bardahl" or "Motor Kote" that are supposed to make the surface of the lubricated parts extra slippery?
 I am using a nanotechnologie additive in my "modern" (compared to the 600) Fiat cinquecento and so far I have had no problems with it. I even noticed the engine reving better. I am just wondering if it is the same good in older engines.

Thanks,
Chris
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:40:21 am »
I have never read anything good about those various additives.
At best they are a waste of money and at worst might upset the balance of the additives that are in the oil.

Digital2