Author Topic: cardan problems  (Read 3827 times)

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
cardan problems
« on: January 09, 2007, 05:46:11 pm »
for the non believes I have taking a photo .Whit this I solve the probleme to stay in rules and do alway the probleme from the aluminium/rubber coupling
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
Re: cardan problems
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:47:04 am »
Guy, you just use the connector you bolt on the aloy-rubber coupling in both parts of the axle?
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:30 am »
yes ,I do this in my rallycars.The only thing what you must do is turn out a litle for fitting the screw .After this whe had no broke couplings enymore during rally.This is also possible with the fiat 500 cars

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:41:50 am »
Is there any similar trick to do in the gearbox side? I ususally brake the axle there. I have heard something for VW Golf axle, but don't know how to do it. Any ideas?
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:02:36 am »
when you have your round connection in your gearbox ,make on this two small sides flat like in 850 gearboxmodel so that the is oil on it.

Offline biketesting

• 1800 cc
  • Steamboat Colorado 1992
    • Biketesting
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 03:30:51 am »
http://www.scuderiatopolino.com/new%20axle%20kit.JPG [nofollow]

These guys have this kit. I have never used it so I can not recommend it but it seems like a nice picture.

I wonder what are the rules anyway? For my club we just had to document that the parts were in use before 1967. This made it easy to use CV joints since Abarth TCR cars had all sorts of stuff, even special rear suspensions. Also the CV's were not performance oriented and so the club had little interest in them anyway. Put a 45 dcoe on and everybody came running to see the rule breaker...even though it made the car run horrible. That DCD with the Abarth manafold was the best carb for our tracks, and I even liked the little DIC with some modification.

You could always make a part that looks like the rubber coupling but has another type of CV in it. I did something like this to my front suspension. They said they didn't like my rod ends, so I made a suspension with the rod ends inside a rubber joint. Who can tell what is in there right?
What can I test for you?

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:08:54 am »
Hello Guy and others,

Yes, I have been grappling with the problem of the half shafts for some period of time.  You could of course buy a complete setup from Toni Berni in Italy, if originality is absolutely necessary, but the cost is pretty daunting.  In addition the outer cardan is 90mm in diameter and does not fit inside the Fiat 600 trailing arm.  I did my car using Fiat 128 cardans on the outer end and made my own side plates with VW type 1 joints for the inner side.  Works great, but a lot of work.

So  I have designed a new system.  It incorporates the following items:

2 gearbox side flange kits with a bearing and seal (no rubber boots required)
2 gearbox stubaxles set up to use standard "square stones".  Use yours as Fiat made two different sizes.
2 Tripode housings with tripode and rubber boot 70mm diameter. - these bolt directly to the side flange kit and are replaceable.
2 axles splined both ends
2 tripode housings with tripode and rubber boot 70mm diameter - wheel hub end - fits inside Fiat 600 trailing arms without modifications
2 stub axles
2 bearing carriers
2 wheel bearings
2 wheel hubs (you could use Fiat 128 wheel hubs if you wanted.

There you have it, a complete system with all parts individually replaceable.

I have the prototype done and with the manufacturer at this point.  I am just waiting to get the first shipment in.  I have not been able to set a price as this time.

Note: One of the classic reasons for breaking the cross-pin out of the inside end of the axle is on overly lowered cars the axle shaft can catch on one of the stone slots.  POW end of axle.  Hopefully this kit will do away with this problem altogether.

Regards,

Paul Vanderheijden

Digital2