Author Topic: intake manifolds  (Read 13031 times)

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
Re: intake manifolds
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 03:01:39 am »
I recently built a 1438cc OHV motor for a customer for use in a FA 1300/124.  It also received larger intake valves (40mm) and some reconfiguration of the combustion chamber.   Internally I used 4340 steel H-beam rod with ARP L19 bolts and 10.8:1 forged pistons.  Camshaft was 300 degree advertised duration (254 @ 1.25mm lift) with a maximum valve lift of 12.4mm.  I spent a lot of time on the crankshaft, reprofiling it and then having it shot-peened.  I used a stock steel pan and added extensions to it, right and left, with a four trap-door arrangement around the pump pick up which was extended to within 10mm of the bottom of the pan. It holds 5.5 litres oil and has a full windage tray between the crankshaft and the oil.  Power was 130+ HP at 7500 RPM, which was my recommended max RPM. 

Customer also installed a close ratio gear kit, limited slip, a SS type independent front suspension and full coilover shocks on all four corners.

He was able to lower his lap times at various tracks, including VIR by over 10 seconds per lap.

While the 1438 engine is no heavier than the 1300 it does provide a very nice power curve and is almost double the power of the standard motor.

Regards,
Paul
www.scuderiatopolino.com

Digital2