Author Topic: Baggage carrier for OTSS and OTR  (Read 15553 times)

Offline grt

• 1800 cc
Baggage carrier for OTSS and OTR
« on: November 06, 2005, 06:52:01 am »
Does anyone have a picture(s) of the baggage carrier that replaces the rear seat in the OTSS and OTR?  Thanks Graeme

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
Re: Baggage carrier for OTSS and OTR
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 10:33:59 am »
something new for me???
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline cormonov

• 1800 cc
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:16:17 pm »
Hello, I have been revising my available Abarth literature and I have not been able to find no reference about this characteristic, at present I possess an OTR (Omologato Turismo Radiale) 1965 in restoration process  (ex racecar) and I´m not remembrance  this characteristic in the OTR. 

About the OTSS ( Omologato Turismo Sprint Speciale) I don´t have info. Boths cars are very simmilars with front radiator, Abarth grille , oil radiator in front, etc. 

It is able someone to comment me upon the differences among the OTR and the OTS and the OTSS ?? Only the Radiale  head ??

Offline grt

• 1800 cc
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 12:27:59 pm »
Hi there.

The OT did not have a front radiator and about 54 hp.  The OTS had a front radiator and relatively standard 982 cc engine and about 64 hp.  The OTR was then introduced with the Radiale head and in stradale form about 74hp.  The FIA homoligation papers refer to a plastic luggage fitting that replaced the rear seat.  The homologation papers also refer to Girling disk brakes both for the front and the rear, and five speed gearbox.  The copy of the papers I have has a very poor picture of the luggage fitting and I cannot see what it looks like.

It seems the OTSS was introduced after the Sports Car Club of America refused to let the OTR compete in its races.  The OTSS was basically the OTR with a standard head with high compression (12,5 or 13 to 1) and it too had the five speed gearbox and plastic luggage fitting in lieu of the rear seat.  (See also Cosentino's Abarth Guide).  The engine in the OTSS was similar in specification to the Fiat Abarth 1000 TC racing car based on the Fiat 600.

Cheers, Graeme

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 07:56:53 pm »
hello,

interesting ... i  have  seen all that info about five speed for the OTR...for the OTSS it mentions these parts as option; do you think that counts for the OTR ?

peter

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:01:34 pm »
mayby  copy of homologation form? our Peter shall whe buy all homologations in Swiss form that men?

Offline grt

• 1800 cc
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 11:14:12 am »
Peter, it seems pretty clear to me that there were stradale and racing versions of the OTR, with many things being optional (Weber DCOEs instead of Solexes, Girling disk brakes front and rear, luggage carrier instead of rear seats, four or five speed gearboxes, camber compensator).  Even the "Uso e Manutenzione" guide has a picture of an engine with a mechanical fuel pump (standard FIAT), refers to the Bendix electric fuel pump and also has a picture of a car with a tower breather fitted where the manual fuel pump usually goes.  The engine in the photograph has an exhaust manifold and muffler that looks like an OT setup.  I suspect that this was used for the stradale versions and that the firewall was not cut to allow the other exhaust manifold to be fitted.  This manifold bent towards the front of the car, towards the fuel tank and required the firewall to be cut.  It entered the muffler in two pipes at the front of car end of the muffler.  Interestingly, the photos of the engine also show a chronometric (mechanical) tachometer take-off.  Has anyone seen an OTR with a chronometric tachometer or do they all use the standard FIAT electronic one?  Cheers Graeme

Offline cormonov

• 1800 cc
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 05:40:42 pm »
Hi All
Graeme, atached is the pictures refer to the fuel bendix and filter position, the pictures are from my pictures base and you can see this arrangement is present in the OTR ant in the OT racing cars.

Additionaly a picture of the girling disc brake ( OTSS )

I´m  looking in my car and in my literature about the oil breather and the oil and water temperature senders

Cornelio

Offline trevor

• 1800 cc
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 07:27:31 pm »
Graeme,   
 I notice that in passing you refer to the existence of an option of a camber compensator on these vehicles with their Fiat 850 trailing arm rear suspensions. I attach a photo of an an aftermarket, stated as Abarth, item that used to be available in the 60's and 70's which I assume was the one offered on the OTR/SS etc.

While the unit can be readily "remade" in dimensional and fitting terms, do you or anyone have the "spring rate" or strength of the transverse leaf spring? Would save me a fair bit of experimentation if this information was available.     Thanks     Trevor

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 09:56:19 pm »
i will have to have a better look at my own car...actually the one on picture otr4 just above. seems there is still a lot to discover.

seems also that not all cars were made the same, maybe depending on day of week or eventually supply of parts as well...

guy: i will buy the homologatioon from the swiss driver and as i get it as pdf put here soon..

peter from svizzera.

Offline Alstheone

• 695 cc
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 04:13:28 am »
I have a 1967 Fiat Abarth Spyder that appears to be an OTS1000.  Its had a hard life and has what appears to be the remains of a front radiator.  Heavily damaged in the front  - no radiator - remnants of a shroud and no rear radiator.  Only a partial engine in car  but some boxes of goodies that I haven't sorted through.  Can anyone help with descriptions, or better yet pictures of the front radiator installation, piping etc. so that I can sort out what I have and restore it properly?

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 11:14:43 am »
good morning,this is new for me .So long that I new there was only a OTS 1000 in the coupe range .Can I have some photos from rear and front of the spider ? Also mayby some photos from the parts that are remaining so I can see and mayby help you

Offline kikolemus

• 1800 cc
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:41:59 am »
I just bought an OTR and I think this is what you wanted to see. Kind of neat and they were homolagated for competition. I will post more details about the car in the next couple weeks.

Michael Lemus

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:11:34 am by kikolemus »

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 10:02:58 am »
I have a 1967 Fiat Abarth Spyder that appears to be an OTS1000.  Its had a hard life and has what appears to be the remains of a front radiator.  Heavily damaged in the front  - no radiator - remnants of a shroud and no rear radiator.  Only a partial engine in car  but some boxes of goodies that I haven't sorted through.  Can anyone help with descriptions, or better yet pictures of the front radiator installation, piping etc. so that I can sort out what I have and restore it properly?

Guy is correct in that the OTS was based on the Coupe chassis, not Spider. The only Spider OT variant that I know of that "officially" had a front radiator was the OTR1000 Berlinetta, which was basically an early European 850 Spider with an 850 Racer-type steel roof, fitted with the Abarth OTR1000 (radiale) engine. This body style/engine combo was basically a prototype (not many made), and the body/roof combo went on to become the Fiat 850 Racer (but with upright-style headlights, not early glass-covered lights).

You mentioned your car is an Abarth. What particular details on your car lead you to this conclusion? (this is info we need to help ID your car).

Cheers,
 -JS.

Your Spider may have been fitted with a front radiator by a previous owner at some point, perhaps if the car was raced &/or modified for racing (or just high-performance street). We can't really tell what you have without photos or more specific details of your car.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline grt

• 1800 cc
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:17 am »
Hi Michael

Thanks very much for these pictures and welcome to OTR ownership.

Graeme

Offline Corso_Marche_38

• 695 cc
Baggage carrier for OTSS and OTR
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30:09 am »
Hello Michael

It's some time later after your post and maybe your great OTR is already gone. But the luggage kit is quiet interesting for me and our new project - a 1000 OTS. which have only the rear part of the Abarth luggage-carrier left.
Have you done any measurements of the several plastic parts and the rubber or maybe photos when you installed all of the pieces together - i assume there must be some smaller parts at the sides to cover the holes.
Any information would be very helpful for me.

Many thanks and best regards from Thomas
Iconic - Mitico - Abarth

Digital2