Abarth / Special cars for sale our wanted by privats > HELP !!!!!!! Info

Mystery camshaft ID?

(1/1)

viotti600:
I'm trying to help a friend identify a camshaft that he has. It is very similar in size & layout to a Fiat 850/127/A112 type cam, but with a few noticeable differences, namely:

* 1. It has TWO distributor/oil pump type drive gears towards the center, instead of just one drive gear near the big end.
* 2. Externally-threaded tip at the big end, with chuck-key installed in a slot just behind this - presumably for fitting some sort of pulley here?
* 3. Open center of small end with a heavy pin through the cam - I presume this is meant to engage the fork/teeth on a tachometer-drive unit or perhaps a fuel-injection or supercharger type pump?
The only markings on this cam are a stamping of "ABA 649" (or perhaps "AEA 649"?) I know very little about this camshaft aside from some (unconfirmed) info that this may have been used on a 16-valve (ie: 4 valves per cylinder) variant of the Autobianchi A112 engine? Can anyone held identify this cam &/or verify what engine it's from?

Alfons1972:
Hello Jeff,

I just used google and the german term "Nockenwelle AEA 649" and found that:
http://www.mini-forum.de/archive/index.php/t-17509.html [nofollow]

accordingly to that it seems to be a Mini Cooper camshaft.

in the mentioned thread the first reply says:

--- Quote ---Hallo!

Die klassische Rennnockenwelle aus den 60igern - die gute alte 649!

War angegeben mit 300°/300°, nachgemessen aber eher weniger

Haben wir früher öfters eingebaut - geht im 1275iger ab 3500 bis mindestens 7500

Richtig eingestellt (100° nach OT) läuft die eigentlich mit jedem Setup, ist ziemlich unempfindlich. Motor schön hoch verdichten 11- 12,5/1.

Für Stadtverkehr eher weniger geeignet...

--- End quote ---

translated into English that is something like that:

--- Quote ---that is the typical racing camshaft from the sixties - the good old 649!

it was indicated with  300°/300°, if measured it tended to be less...

We mounted that frequently - it worked in the 1275ccm engine best between 3500 up to 7500 revs.

[...]

not good for city drive...

--- End quote ---

Also look here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/261575100085 [nofollow]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version