Author Topic: motors suited to the 850 sports coupe  (Read 14793 times)

Offline Rubino

• 1800 cc
    • www.bm-autohaus.com.au
Re: motors suited to the 850 sports coupe
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 01:17:32 am »
Hi Toby(slim4936),
The "Faizuki" motor was able to spin to 9000 with standard crank,rods and pistons. If I had what is available today with special cranks ,cam grinds,etc I beleive 10,000RPM and 130BHP+  from the mighty 903cc 127 block, stroke it to 1050cc and we are on our way to 150BHP??!!
Infomation today is fantastic, Guy with this forum brings together any and all interested people to share there knowlage and carry it forward for future generations(thank you Guy!!!) I lost interest in Fiats/Italian cars due to lack of infomation and enthusiasts in Australia in the early '90s but got it back when my eldist son (Benny) asked to be involved in the restoration of the Fiazuki and join the car club again, putting the infomation about the SOHC Fiat has got interest from all types of people from all over, this is a shock to me after all these years but a joy , I will start restoring this year and post pictures ,hope it is enjoyed by more than just my son!
Cheers, Rubin (Rubino)
SPEED - “The Magnificent Beauty of Mechanised Velocity”

Offline slim4936

• 1800 cc
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:13 am »
Hi Rubin & all,

Some pics of my ride..... yes it's a 600 or rather it was. The car is more 850 than 600, that's why I post into these OT threads. My car is a '61 600D with crossmember/coilover front end and 850 rear floor pan/gearbox. The complete floor pan means all of the 850 rear parts, axles, shocks, sway bars etc,etc. For those with keen eyes you'll also see a 124 sport dash/intruments (not in the Abarth/Jaeger style but works just as well and cheap!)

These ideas for these mods were taken from some clever guys in the local Fiat car club. They would compete in motokhana events so cheap but effective mods were the order of the day.

The body/chassis stuff was finished about ten years ago and the car has seen little use since then (married, two little kids, renovated the house, blah, blah) but last year work was finished on a new engine. I couldn't afford the A112 swap ( or so I thought! ) so the engine is 127 block with 66mm bores, balanced A112 74mm crank, fully floating pistons on H-beam rods with ARP bolts. The head has been mildly ported and uses the John Edwards JO/EL intake manifold with a DCD carby. Larger valves were also installed with a re ground mild profile camshaft.

Still running the engine in and sorting out a few little bugs bugs but the new engine is strong! More torque than it ever had ( I was running a standard 903cc before). Don't have to change back to 3rd gear to go up hills anymore, but she really takes off at 5500rpm and will happily pull 8000! In the end I spent a few more $$ than I thought but I believe this engine is superior in quality of components than a stock A112.

Look forward to seeing some pics of these other 850/OT projects also.

Cheers, Toby
Sydney Australia

Offline Rubino

• 1800 cc
    • www.bm-autohaus.com.au
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:43 am »
WOW Toby nice 600!
 I've never seen a Red one ,suits the shape, love the choice of wheels but not a fan of the 124 sport gauges, personal choice I know but I like the abarth style set you can still buy aftermarket and cheap today. I got a fibreglass copy shroud on ebay out of Asia for the Replica OT, then used a set of 124 spyder gauges as jager are not available under  $2000!! but in the same look. same as not being able to find a real Abarth steering wheel but a Momo used instead. well we all have to do what we have to do!
You are lucky the 600 engine is spun the same as normal engines not backwards like the 850! are you using a 127 block or still the 600? I did use the 127 but had to spin anti-clockwise for the SOHC conversion !
Cheers, Rubino
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:31:44 pm by Rubino »

Offline fredabarth

• 2000 cc
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
To make a twin cam engine anticlockwise will take a lot of machining, Rubin!!
To turn the 850 gearbox upsidedown is a option. abarth did it on the abarth 1000 cuneo.
You will make a complete different bellhousing.
The 850 gearboxes are very strong, there are build by the porsche principe!!

Offline Rubino

• 1800 cc
    • www.bm-autohaus.com.au
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 01:53:42 am »
Ok ,I did that type of work once before (Sohc 903cc),never again! flip the box upside down - love it! Porsche type I'm not suprised there is not more mechanical ideas same between Abarth and Porsche, when Carlo and Ferdinan were such good friends!

Digital2