Author Topic: Fiat Abarth 1000 OTR Berlinetta Reborn  (Read 25413 times)

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
Fiat Abarth 1000 OTR Berlinetta Reborn
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:19:05 am »
a mix  from two cars  a Fiat 850 spider  serie 1 and a Bertone Racer  makes
 a nice  Fiat Abarth 1000 OTR berlinetta, so whe start on it
Like alway are many  Fiat 850 spider rusty and  even this car that come from France was like this
but it was  worth doying it
Colors will be silver like the  first and mayby only car ?
Like you see the car have now a big front radiator and a airintake on front
Rear heatwall is  also away ,the fuelintake and bonnet support change place to.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:27:04 am by guy moerenhout »
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
Re: Fiat Abarth 1000 OTR Berlinetta Reborn
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:02 am »
some update ,body now  prepared  for Grey metalic  painting
Engine  rebuild  to  1000 cc Abarth   OT  specifications and  ready to fit
Special shocks  fitted front and  rear
Water tubes  fitted  to front radiator
All new  brake tubes

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:57 am »
a update   
For my there where more than  2  Fiat Abarth OTR  berlinetta  because on some photos  where on both side  FIAT ABARTH and  the rond  scorpion on and on other photos not . Do someone have good detail photo  from this ??? Are the separeted letters  our like the  124 Abarth on a line
Special seats inside for testing
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:18:04 am by guy moerenhout »

Offline Vinny H

• 1300 cc
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
This is going to be al beatiful racer,

Vincent.

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »
up to bodyshop

Offline evannice

• 2000 cc
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:09:48 am »
Wonderful project, can't wait to see it!

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:20:33 am »
  For me there were more than 2 Fiat Abarth OTR berlinetta because on some photos were on both side FIAT ABARTH and the round scorpion on and on other photos not.

I've always wondered about this, as well. Some people say only 1 car was built, others say a few were made. Myself, I have only seen the silver car shown in the Bertone factory photos, & another silver car shown in photos taken later in Japan. I do not know for sure if they are the same car or not.

The Bertone factory photos show the car without the Abarth emblems on the roof side panels. I am not sure, but the side emblems may have been added later once the car was delivered to Abarth? The car shown in Japan does have the emblems on the roof side panels.

There are 1 or 2 period photos of an OTR Berlinetta shown at a car show (perhaps the 1965 Salone di Francoforte or Salone di Torino?), but the photos are black & white & taken from the front/side angle, so it's difficult to tell what color the car is. This particular car is shown with the "FIAT ABARTH" script & "Campione del Mondo" wreath/scorpion badge on each roof side panel.

Do someone have good detail photo from this???

I'll check to see what I have. Most of the photos of this area that I have were not taken facing the car directly, but from the side (at an angle), and from far away, and in blurry black & white, making it very difficult to see the emblems with really good detail. :(

Are the separated letters or like the 124 Abarth on a line?

I can definitely say they are separate individual letters (like on the rear panel of the OT1000 Coupe/Sedan cars). They are not connected along the bottom ("on a line", as you say) like the emblem for the Abarth 124 Rally.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:45:57 am by viotti600 »
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:55 am »
up to bodyshop
http://forum.abarth-gmr.be/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4100.0;attach=29569;image

One minor detail before you go to the paint booth...what are you going to do about (use for) the rear engine lid hinges? The 850 Racer used modified 850 Spider chrome hinges, but the OTR Berlinetta did not use these hinges at all - it had 2 different hinges mounted underneath the center cross panel (the body panel that is above the fuel tank). I suspect the mounting base of each hinge was welded in place. If you are going to use this hinge setup, you'll want to weld those in place before painting the car. ;)

For example, see the 2 hinges in this photo:
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »
many thanks Jeff for the detail and honnest its now for the first time that I see this  to . I have made the same like in the racer so bonnet have also the 4 holes for fitting .
I will not do this because I will also not say that it a real one  but if I do it again I will sure lisen to your advice .Thanks
Sure I find also some more details  but also I am sure that the make more than 1 car.
See the Fiat Abarth on roof ,Also on my car the scorpion is inside  front and on some photos is scorpion on a flat front noze.
On rear bonnet some photos are with a scorpione (small) and other not
Can you help me with the blue metalic from DB ?

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:27:45 am »
See the Fiat Abarth on roof, Also on my car the scorpion is inside front and on some photos scorpion is on a flat front nose.
On rear bonnet some photos are with a scorpione (small) and other not

For the OTR Berlinetta, I believe the front nose emblem is most likely the large Abarth shield with tri-color horizontal stripes on top & a Series 2 type scorpion in the center, the same emblem which was often used on the "specialty-version" Abarth 1-liter cars based on the Fiat 850 platform, like the OTR Coupe, OTS Coupe & 1300/124 Coupe. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any photos of the OTR Berlinetta that show the nose of the car clearly enough to be 100% sure about this, though. :(

I have 1 photo of the show-car that does show a large Abarth scorpion shield emblem on the nose, & it is obvious that the original round indentation in the nose (where the original Fiat emblem was normally mounted) has been smoothed over (hammered flat or filled in with body putty) & painted before the Abarth shield was mounted (see photo below). The rear engine lid would likely also have this same large emblem, as well as the chromed "1-0-0-0" script emblem (same script as used on the OT1000 Spider). I think there is also the chromed "OTR" script emblem mounted below this, but not 100% sure. The photo below (light blue car) shows what I'm talking about, though the large Abarth shield shown may not be correct (should maybe have tri-color striped top, not solid blue?).

On the OT1000 Spider (not OTR1000 Berlinetta), I have seen 2-3 different emblems used on the nose & engine lid in various photos. There was either the round checkerboard with Abarth shield in the center (fitted inside the normal indented Fiat emblem area), or the round "Campione Del Mondo" wreath with either a small- or medium-sized Abarth shield on top (seen fitted inside the normal indented area, or fitted on top of a flat/filled-in area there). I believe this "CDM" emblem is the same emblem as seen on the roof side panels of the OTR Berlinetta (above the individual "FIAT ABARTH" chromed letters), though I can't tell from my blurry photos which of the 2 styles it actually is. 

In real life, on all of the OT1000 Spiders I've either owned (4) or come across (7) here in the USA, the round checkerboard-type emblem is what was found (as original) on the nose & engine lid. I don't think this checkerboard emblem was used on the OTR-Berlinetta, as it seems to have been developed a little later in the production of the OT Spider cars, a short while after the OTR-B cars were supposedly produced.

Can you help me with the blue metallic from DB ?

I have a few 1950's paint chip sample pages for Fiat cars, but they do not tell me exactly which specific models they were used on. There were several different blues to choose from, very few were metallic, though. I'll see if I can find anything close in color or year. For the Abarth 750 cars, I don't think I have any metallics shown, only regular solid colors. I've been waiting to hear back from a friend as to whether his old paint sample/code books show any detailed info on this, but so far I have not heard back from him.

After some thought, it dawned on me that another possible source may be one of my own cars. My Viotti 600 was repainted in a similar-looking metallic blue color by a previous owner, & the last owner (before me) was nice enough to include a small can of this paint with the car when I bought it. The paint is a very old original Fiat paint color, & the paint name & code number are written on the can! I'll stop by later today at the garage where I have my cars/parts stored & find the paint can & info for you. I'm not sure it's the exact color that you're after, but you can probably have a sample made using the paint code, & then decide for yourself. At least it's a start! ;)
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
today back in place

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:23 am »
Can you help me with the blue metalic from DB ?

See my reply to your original post on this subject: http://forum.abarth-gmr.be/index.php?topic=4203.0
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
many thanks Jeff

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 10:29:43 am »
litle  by litle its begins his new live
Engine is a tuned  1000 cc with abarth parts and a original Abarth exhaust . Mayby in some time a ciliinderhead  with  2 Weber   but not yet

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 10:33:26 am »
wheels are 5,5 x131  remake campagnolo
Special seats  where in a Bertone Racer and I never see a second set like this .
Steering wheel original OT type

Digital2