Author Topic: 1000TC color combinations  (Read 3115 times)

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
1000TC color combinations
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »
Hello.
These might sound like stupid questions to ask but will prove to be helpfull to evryone of as.

So here are the questions:
Witch is the Gr2 and witch the Gr5 version?
Witch one used the rear fiberglass spoiler and witch one the stock hood kept in an open possition?
Witch one had the wide fiberglass fenders and witch the small ones?
Witch had the checkers roof and witch the cross type stripes?

Simple questions but critical to make a replica look historicly correct.

Thank you

Chris
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
Re: 1000TC color combinations
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:00:33 am »
According to the photos I see and what I can read in Italian in Abarth 850TC e 1000TC:

Group 5 existed only in 1976.  It differed from the Group 2 specifications Abarths had run in since 1963 in allowing many more modifications.  From the pictures I see you can't tell by looking because they involved brakes and other  things you can't tell in a photo.  Photos from 1976 show Group 2 and Group 5 cars that look identical, and both have the stock hoods.

The fiberglass rear wing appears in 1972, but most cars continued to run the stock engine cover elevated.  The stock cover is actually larger and I wonder if some people thought it was more effective.

Wide fiberglass fenders were homologated in 1970 and most cars in the photos have those from then on.  But "narrow bodied" cars continue to be seen as late as 1973.

1970 seems to be a transitional year regarding the roof paint pattern.  That is when the "lines around the edges with 2 lines crossing" pattern appears (I believe first on the factory cars.)  But the checkerboard (or no special paint pattern) continues to be seen in 1970. 

So I think to make an accurate replica it is more a matter of saying "I want the car to look like a 1000TC of 1970" for example.

My car looks like an 850TC of of 1965.

Digital2