Author Topic: What's with the "questionable" ebay listings lately?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
What's with the "questionable" ebay listings lately?
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:18:15 pm »
There is a Double Bubble that was just listed on ebay (US) yesterday by 2 bidders.  Shortly after the listing started, the price was bid up to $60,100.  No description.  No list of missing, damaged, incorrect or extra parts.  No interior, engine or suspension photos.  The flat black paint job might be to hide bad bodywork?

The seller wants $60K+ and says the car needs restoration?  Something isn't right.

There was the recent "1959 Fiat -Abarth Derivazione 750 Berlina" and "1968 Fiat Competition" (1968 Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR).  Questionable authenticity and correctness  on these two (to say the least).  It looks like neither were sold.   We will have to wait and see what happens with the Double Bubble.

I sold a Record Monza about 10 -12 years ago for $6K.  It had serious corrosion between the alloy body and steel floor pan.  It was also totally complete except for the engine.  I should have kept it I guess and put it on ebay for $60K or so.  A little flat black paint and shots from at least 10' away and it would have looked like a cream puff.  Argh.

Gil Nicholls

Offline fiat guy

• 695 cc
Re: What's with the "questionable" ebay listings lately?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:44:12 pm »
its my car and it a real car. it is missing some engine parts but the car is very good shape. the body is in really good shape. straight and no accidents. the interior is complete with the zagato style seats. im selling as i am doing a reto on the same car. a freind told me about this car and i bought it knowing what there worth. any questions feel free to call me . 305-967-1111

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »
im selling as i am doing a reto on the same car.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you're selling the car because you're doing a resto (restoration) on it? ???

a freind told me about this car and i bought it knowing what there worth.

Exactly how much are you thinking ("knowing") this car is worth in its current unrestored condition?
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:20:11 pm »
it seems that fiatguy is restoring a similar car and from a distance i am wondering why you are asking him questions about him knowing  a value of a car and so on;  a car is worth what someone is willing to pay...if some is looking for a daf marathon i,e, he may pay 10 000 euros, if you don't find this person its worth 500 euros. i understand that with all these 1000 tc and so , there are many fake ones around, just check the ads on the italian websites...but a fake zagato DB ?? have you ever seen one ?

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:50:24 pm »
I agree with Mr. Naegeli as far as the unlikelihood of a "knock-off" DB ever happening.  There were some Alfa vehicles that were copied, but as far as I know never a 750 GT.

It has been common practice on Ebay for listers to include the word "Abarth" in an attempt to coax some extra returns from the sale.  It is up to the bidders to do their homework and decide what is real and what is not.  Personally, any car that is listed on Scuderia Topolino is marked as a real Abarth, if it is so.  If not, then it is described as a replica or re-creation. 

Unfortunately, a great many "real" Abarth cars, of the 850TC and 1000TC variety, were updated to later specifications by the factory in order to keep them competitive.  This makes the process of authentication very difficult.  I am sure that all of the major collections of Abarth cars (Moell, Pont, Aumuller etc) vet the purchases that they make very thoroughly, particularly on the sedan based Abarth cars. 

Digital2