Author Topic: Just another Mostra project  (Read 6516 times)

Offline vstar

• 1000 cc
Just another Mostra project
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
Welcome
Just another crazy fan - this time from Poland
I have two 850's from '68
Berlina special - as poor's man Abarth conversion
And Berlina Vignale
The First one I have decided to restore and somehow during thinking about this the Mostra jump out of the shadows.
So here it is - I will try to do it - luckily for me I have a good friends who will help a lot.
For now just few pictures from the beginning of this journey

Offline vstar

• 1000 cc
Re: Just another Mostra project
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:39:07 pm »
I already had some questions to which Fred has replied and to keep the integrity of this post I will paste them here as well:

Q's : Most important one would be gearbox - you all mention Porsche 901 - I guess you mean part number for the shell
In this shell there were internals for a lot of different 911 models - would you mind which model internals do you suggest?
Where is the best source to get the adapter from?
Do you know if anyone has any doc, prints or photos of the rear suspension made out of pipes?
OT1600 has 5j and 7j wheels - do you know if Mostra goes for OT2000 Coupe set 7j and 8j?
Do you still have some made parts for sell?
You have mentioned dry sump option with the oil tank in the front - however I can see traditional oil sump in your engine?!
Any idea if it is possible to get abarth heads for 2.0 engine - what kind of timing was used there - it does not look like belt driven.
I have 850 body stripped and ready for whatever needed - just I am not yet sure what's needed :)

A's: I use a 911-gearbox and that is the 901 type box. It is a standard type gearbox and I don't change it internal.
I will look for the number at the gearbox and maybe you can find out what type box it is.
The adapter I've got was made by PBS in the USA, but there is also a company that made them see newbielink:http://www.millersmule.com [nonactive]
I've got no extra info about the Mostra rearsuspension. I've got all the articles about the OT1600.
There is one pic at the internet of the OT2000.
Abarth used a chain to make the camshafts turn. I'm using an engine from a Fiat ritmo 105TC.
Abarth heads like the one on th original car are very rare to find and will not fit a Fiat 2.0l engine.
I think that the mostra was using whider wheels than the 1600. So the 7 and 8j are sounds good.
I'm not using a dry sump at my car, but I want to make a replica as close as the originalone, so I made the drysump tank in
the front of the car.

Offline vstar

• 1000 cc
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »
Something interesting was mentioned before as well.
Fred: Further you must make the car stiffer than the original 850. I can help you with that.

I am really interested to know what do you mean by that - this is one of probably many topics i have omitted when I was thinking the whole project over :)

As well Fred mentioned that Abarth head would not fit Fiat 2.0DOHC engine - what was then used by them?
Any publications on the subject? Are the head so scarce because they are not produced anymore?
Those heads look a little bit similar to Lotus heads or am I completely mistaken?
Cheers

BTW Fred I would be very interested as well in this grill that you made :) - I will not even try to bit this piece of excellence!

Offline fredabarth

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 08:41:10 pm »
Hi Vstar,

Great to see that you made your own topic and you've got a very good 850 for this project.
Hopefully other enthousiast will follow your project.

I can make an extra frontgrill, but maybe some of your friends are very handy!!
Let me know and I also can send you some pictures about making the car stiffer.
It is not difficult!!

Well good luck with your project and have fun with it.

Groet,
Fred

Offline vstar

• 1000 cc
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:29 am »
Hi Fred
I am very interested in this documents how to make it stiffer
Can you email them directly to me?
Cheers

Offline vstar

• 1000 cc
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »
Few steps ahead.
And a few more then expected to go - I have really counted for a bit better substance to work with.
However rust know no mercy :(

Offline fredabarth

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:31:57 am »
Hi Wiktor,

Well the same problems I had om my 850 when I started my OT1600 project, but there is a sunny side!!
You must cut a lot of the rusty metal out to make the OT1600 fenders in the back and front.
I hope you don't stop your project!!!!
So keep up the good work!!

Groet,
Fred

Digital2