Author Topic: Tyre and rim sizes  (Read 7943 times)

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
Tyre and rim sizes
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:47:00 am »
Hello abarth friends,

something I never say in our forum is the correct rim size and tyre size 1000TC used to have.
I have seen pictures of car with the tyres in the rear being a lot wider than the ones in the front and I have seen pictures of cars that have the same tyre size all over.
Got me thinking what is the best for handling and what is the right one for a historicly correct car or maybe even a correct homologation setup?!

Anybody got any infos on that?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:14:46 pm by ChrisD »
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
Re: Tyre and rim sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:20:31 pm »
have a look in your mailbox
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »
Thank you Guy

great info, thanks for sending it
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline El Wopo66

• 695 cc
  • Zastava 750LE
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 03:15:30 am »
Guy,
I was wondering the same question. I have been to many different sites and some people have posted some different numbers. I would like your information before I pay alot of money for something that does not work well.
Thank you,
Vito

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:02:06 pm »
Hello Vito and others,

If you are planning on racing in FIA sanctioned events, get a copy of the homologation papers to see what sizes of rims were homologated for the various models of Abarths.  Generally you will have to use Dunlop tires (bias ply) for FIA competition.

Other race organizations are less strict.  The Abarth Coppa Mille will let you use any DOT approved tire or race slick.

It has been my observation that many of the 850TC/1000TC/TCR cars, be they originals or replicas, are OVER-TIRED.  What I mean is that cars running smaller diameter, narrower tires tend to go faster than the ones with huge rubber.  A "popular" combination is 185/60x13 in the front and 205/60X13 in the rear.  Looks really macho !!  The truth is that at speed none of these motors, with the exception MAYBE of a full race TCR, has the power to break traction with 205/60x13 tires !!  Perhaps it would be nice to have the big rubber in the corners (up for debate) but on the straights the larger rubber is just plain slower.

The faster cars all use 185/60x13 (or smaller) all around.  They corner just as hard and they have less rolling resistance on the straights.  Not only that, they weigh less, so there is less mass for the engine to accelerate. (Works the same way as using a light aluminium flywheel as compared to a heavier steel one).

That being said, I can see little use for wheels any wider than 6 inches.

Offline El Wopo66

• 695 cc
  • Zastava 750LE
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:52 am »
Paul,
I like to thank you for the information and the on going lessons in Fiat 600. I visit your site quite often dreaming of what parts to buy but I am on this really tight budget at this time. I am hoping to do one project a year, this year is tires and rims (to get ready for disk brakes).

My question to everyone is what is the maximum tire that you can fit in the current wheel well without modifing the body ( I have no problem triming back the inner lip on the fender). I am trying to avoid adding the fiberglass sides.

I am looking at 175/50R13s for all four, what is everyones thoughts.

Guy,
Thanks for the specs that you sent me as well, they helped me figure out a few other things.

Vito

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:47 am »
Hello Vito.

back when my 600 was stock I managed to fit 165/70/12 wheels and tyres. To be honest it was a tight fit in the rear wells and I had to trim a bit of the fender to avoid contact with the tyre.

175/50 is a bit wider so I guess you will have to choose wisely the wheel you are going to use (offset and how wide it is)
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:05:35 am »
So...I found this picture today and I was wondering what brand/model these wheels are?
They look like Cromodoras cd66 but they are not

Any ideas, anyone?
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:16 am »
Remotec  Germany ???
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:35:44 am »
So...I found this picture today and I was wondering what brand/model these wheels are? They look like Cromodoras cd66 but they are not. Any ideas, anyone?

They are made by RONAL.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »
Yes, this is it!

Thank you Jeff
Fiat 600 Abarth

Digital2