abarth cars - community > 1000 tc , radiale , replika

Tyre and rim sizes

(1/3) > >>

ChrisD:
Hello abarth friends,

something I never say in our forum is the correct rim size and tyre size 1000TC used to have.
I have seen pictures of car with the tyres in the rear being a lot wider than the ones in the front and I have seen pictures of cars that have the same tyre size all over.
Got me thinking what is the best for handling and what is the right one for a historicly correct car or maybe even a correct homologation setup?!

Anybody got any infos on that?

guy moerenhout:
have a look in your mailbox

ChrisD:
Thank you Guy

great info, thanks for sending it

El Wopo66:
Guy,
I was wondering the same question. I have been to many different sites and some people have posted some different numbers. I would like your information before I pay alot of money for something that does not work well.
Thank you,
Vito

Paul vander Heyden:
Hello Vito and others,

If you are planning on racing in FIA sanctioned events, get a copy of the homologation papers to see what sizes of rims were homologated for the various models of Abarths.  Generally you will have to use Dunlop tires (bias ply) for FIA competition.

Other race organizations are less strict.  The Abarth Coppa Mille will let you use any DOT approved tire or race slick.

It has been my observation that many of the 850TC/1000TC/TCR cars, be they originals or replicas, are OVER-TIRED.  What I mean is that cars running smaller diameter, narrower tires tend to go faster than the ones with huge rubber.  A "popular" combination is 185/60x13 in the front and 205/60X13 in the rear.  Looks really macho !!  The truth is that at speed none of these motors, with the exception MAYBE of a full race TCR, has the power to break traction with 205/60x13 tires !!  Perhaps it would be nice to have the big rubber in the corners (up for debate) but on the straights the larger rubber is just plain slower.

The faster cars all use 185/60x13 (or smaller) all around.  They corner just as hard and they have less rolling resistance on the straights.  Not only that, they weigh less, so there is less mass for the engine to accelerate. (Works the same way as using a light aluminium flywheel as compared to a heavier steel one).

That being said, I can see little use for wheels any wider than 6 inches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version