Author Topic: Steering rack  (Read 4027 times)

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
Steering rack
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:29:52 pm »
Has anyone thought to upgrade the steering system of the 600 to a steering rack system?

I am thinking of this upgrade because of the bad handling the car has with the stock steering system. I belive that the best rack to use is the one from Fiat 126 BIS from a little search I did.

Has anyone tried that to give me some tips or info?

Thank you,
Chris
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
Re: Steering rack
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:47:28 am »
Hi Chris,

while perusing the Ritz Handel website (www.fiatclassic.com) I noticed that they list a steering rack for a 600.  There's no info. about it on their site so you'd have to email them.  I'd be interested to here if you find out anything on this.

Gil Nicholls

Offline Abarthfan

• 1800 cc
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
is possible to use steering from Fiat 126BIS .. you must make new hole for steering tube (from Fiat 127 for example - with cardan crosses) .. and tha last thing,that you must make holders for steering rack. But yes i know some people with steering rack from 126BIS.. so it is possible

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:22:35 am »
Been looking at my car. Seems that the battery is in the way so it has to be raised a bit or moved to another place. Personally I prefare keeping it in front because of the weight distribution.

Apart from that the 126 rack is small so it only requires the holders. Didn't manage to find anything in the lockal market but Ritz Hendel seem to have just the part. I have contacted him but didn't had much info.

New hole for steerign tube I don't mind doing it. Is it possible to get more infor on that Abarthfan? Maybe even a picture? It would be a great help.
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline cmaranto

• 1000 cc
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:19:53 am »
So...why the bad handling.  Does the box need an adjustment or a rebuild.  The boxes were good enough for everybody in the 60's and 70's.  Cosentino used to check the idler plate bushings after each race, but that was it.

Digital2