Author Topic: ZF gearbox for 124 Abarth, what type in Works rallycar????  (Read 7149 times)

Offline fredd

• 695 cc
Hi  Group

I’m new to the forum.......

I want to know if somebody could tell me what type of ZF gearbox they used in the
124 Abarth  works rally car?

I have 2 spare gearboxes for my Dino 2400 spider since the Dino were made during the same  period and was thinking if it could be used in my 124 Abarth Stradale, of course with a new bellhousing.
The ZF gearbox used in the Dino was a Type: S5-18/3….
Very curious for an answer…
Regards
Fredd

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
Re: ZF gearbox for 124 Abarth, what type in Works rallycar????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:28:55 am »
the first model where colotti and after the old  ZF where fitted but nobody have give a no off this box .On the 130 where to different type .I think that the bell housing from a 124 fitt on 130 our you can make a adaption plate
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline fredd

• 695 cc
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:32 am »
the first model where colotti and after the old  ZF where fitted but nobody have give a no off this box .On the 130 where to different type .I think that the bell housing from a 124 fitt on 130 our you can make a adaption plate

Guy
Thank you for your answer, Is this gearbox installed in one of your cars?
And if so, is there any possibility to send a photo?
This gearbox was used in a lot cars during the -70’s and I will probably use the bell housing from a BMW 3 series.
Since I do not want to cut in an original Dino bell housing……

Regards
Fredd

Offline 124Abarth

• 1800 cc
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:32:44 pm »
Hello everybody.
If you discuss gearbox, you have to differentiate the two type of it: straight cut or helicoidally cut. After that you have dog leg type or classic H layout.

What is on the market nowadays:
- Colotti in two forms, one straight cut and one helicoidally cut.
- there is a gearbox from Spain (perhaps IRESA??)
- there is an other one from Russia (Lada Sport)

But let's make some history:
1973 first straight cut gearbox for the ex work 124 Abarth Gr 4. Make Colotti. This gearbox had, and still has, sharper gear not strong enough to cope with the brutal use in rally competitions.  So after 1973 Abarth gave the mission to design a stronger gear set to CIMA. These gear set were bomb proof and used on official cars until the end of the 131 race career.
This Gearbox is hard to find nowadays. CIMA still has the design and could be reproduced at $$$$ no idea…

Colotti still produce the gearbox of 1973 and you can see the price on his website.
Be careful the straight cut gearbox is good but the other with helical gear is not really the best you can find. It's weak and if not built with original bearings it will be in short out of order. I prefer by far the original Stradale or one from a rusty 132.

To my opinion no one official 124 Abarth was fitted with the ZF gearbox. Two reasons: I've never heard of it and I've never see one with. But, if someone can proof with some documentation the opposite, I were happy to accept it.

If you manage to adapt a ZF gearbox to the Lampredi engine, I'm interested. A friend has a Spider and was tempted to do this swap.

Offline grant gauld

• 2000 cc
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:46:57 pm »
Dont forget Bacci Romano for both Sport Spider and CSA Abarth.
Grant

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »
i tried a colotti helicoidal a few weeks ago, but it is really not working well, too much play everywhere, took it out again and until i find something nice, i drive the original box; as you mention, i have been using a box from a rusty 125 for three years without problems. my 124 has a LSD from Bacci Romano, highly recommandable, but fitting must be done very meticulosely.

a friend in zurich is eventually selling a CIMA that was in a 131...but many ££$$$

Offline 124Abarth

• 1800 cc
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:54 pm »
I heard the bad experience of Peter with the Colotti helicoidal gear set. This gear set is by far the worst way to go.   
The Products of Romano Bacci are highly recommended. I have only positive feedbacks of the whole items he produce.
But if you want the real thing, as the official works 124 was, you must have a CIMA or a Colotti. I have CIMA and I tried Colotti. CIMA is just perfect!
Bear just one thing in mind, if you change the gear box from the original to a straight cut, your car will be another . The whole drive style have to change. If you change the diff ratio too, you’ll have another car again. So you have to change the drive style again. If you aren’t an experienced driver, the better way to go is to do one step after another. Begin with a close ratio gearbox and, after you experienced the new sensations, change the differential ratio.
Any step you make can produce an engine failure due to an overrun with valve damage or worst.

Digital2