Author Topic: fresh air intake for driver on my replica  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
fresh air intake for driver on my replica
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:44:25 am »
My 850TC replica has a race cam, and the exhaust fumes are quite irritating to my nose and throat.
So I have created a way to bring fresh air to my face as I drive.  The side window does not really let fresh air in because the airflow hits the windshield and goes outward away from the window area.  If you put your hand out as you drive you can feel that there is almost no air flow next to the window but it flows very fast just to the side of the windshield.

This system brings this fast-moving, fresh air to my face as I drive.  The aluminum tubing is from a home repair store and the plexiglas air scoop it goes through is from a racing parts supply company.   The air scoop alone does not bring any air in for the reasons discussed above..

Even at 30 miles per hour there is excellent flow to my face.

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
Re: fresh air intake for driver on my replica
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:42 pm »
I belive that Abarths had an air intake for the cabin behind the front emblem with a tube connected under the dash to the air intakes of the windscreen. Why don't you look up a solution like that?
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:44:15 pm »
I am pretty sure Chris is correct.  I have seen this part for sale on ebay in Germany before and I think Berni Motori sells them.  I guess you would have to cut a hole through firewall into the passenger compartment though.  Then you could connect up the the window defroster pipes.  Why would a race cam cause more exhaust gas to get into the car and why would it get in at all?

Gil Nicholls

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:51:40 pm »
I am pretty sure Chris is correct.  I have seen this part for sale on ebay in Germany before and I think Berni Motori sells them.  I guess you would have to cut a hole through firewall into the passenger compartment though.  Then you could connect up the the window defroster pipes.  Why would a race cam cause more exhaust gas to get into the car and why would it get in at all?

Gil Nicholls

It wouldn't cause more to get in, but it is much more toxic because of the unburned hydrocarbons present in it.  So it doesn't take much to be irritating.

Yes, I have considered running a line from the grill emblem. But I can't bring myself to cut a hole in the firewall. Also, I would be worried that if the gas tank leaked somehow gas could literally pour right onto my feet.

Jim

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:02:13 pm »
Sorry-- I messed up the post above and put my response in the purple box somehow.

The other issue is that in I think the amount of air that would come in thru the emblem area would be too small to justify altering the car for. The system I have can be removed in about 3 minutes and leave no trace.

Digital2