Author Topic: Greetings from California  (Read 4276 times)

Offline TKO

• 695 cc
Greetings from California
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:40:27 am »
I have a recent interest in Abarth. I love the Fiat 850TC and would be interested in a replica that would be true to the original. Are fender flares available in steel or only fiberglass? Anybody know of cars available?

Many thanks,

Tom

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
Re: Greetings from California
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:17:42 pm »
Hi Tom, you could ask Guy if he has them.  I am sure that Scorpion Abarth Parts in Holland has them.  Berni Motori in Italy has them, and you can get parts from BM from Judge Parker Racing. I think there are a few other vendors around also that have them.

You should do a little more research to use the correct body modifications for the year and type of Abarth you want to emulate.  There are early and late 850TCs, with different body mods.  For an early 600 with suicide doors, the wide rear flares and large front radiator shroud aren't "correct"  if you are looking for authenticity.

I'd take a look at the Scuderia Topolino website for a lot of good engine, suspension and other items.  He's got some good reading in his tech section too.

Gil

Offline TKO

• 695 cc
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:32:19 am »
Gil

Thanks for the tips. Are the parts your talking about in steel or fiberglass? I like the idea of doing something that is more authentic so I will do some research. I bet there are many clones that are not 'correct', or?

Thanks again,

Tom

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 04:41:52 am »
Hi, Tom,

Most replicas are of the 1000TCR, the one with the big rear fender flares.

If you go to youtube.com and search for my user name Pantdino you'll find a lot of uploaded stuff on Abarths.

This one in particular and it's "Part 1" brother are particularly useful for seeing the various forms of the TC line development:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBWmWETVVA

If you really want to learn about Abarths you'll want to get a copy of "Abarth--the Man and the Machines."  It goes thru the history of Abarth in considerable detail.

As far as cars being available: I looked for about a year from early 2006 to early 2007 and found no attractive cars for sale in this country. I would check ebay, but all the cars were on the East coast and were not very authentic replicas.  Most were just Fiat 600's with Fiat 850 motors built by who-knows-who and had some various cobbled up "customization" in very dubious taste.

Finally I decided that I either had to import one or give up entirely--  so I imported one from Germany last year and the price was much less than what it would cost to make my own.  If you are a mechanic AND a body and paint man maybe it would be a different story.

You'll want to go to scuderiatopolino.com and email Paul van der Heijden-- he will know what cars are available in the world.  (He found mine for me.)

Where in California are you?  I live in the Los Angeles area.
If you live near me you can come by and go for a ride in mine.

Jim Oddie

Offline TKO

• 695 cc
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:04:01 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply, very helpful information. I had seen some of your youtube posts, great stuff! I live in South Orange County, I would love to drive up and see your car sometime if possibe. I can be flexible to your schedule and time.

Do you have a Dino?

All the best,

Tom

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 05:18:46 am »
Hi, Tom,

I live in Cerritos, which is between Buena Park and Long Beach.

Yesterday I took the transmission cover off and made a hole in it so it will fit over the Scuderia Topolino starter motor. Now I have to figure out an attractive way to put a convex piece of metal over the hole to seal it, so the car isn't really driveable at the moment.

But I guess we could just put duct tape over it temporarily.

I am busy on the 12th but otherwise free on the weekends this month.
Did you have a day in mind?

Jim

Offline TKO

• 695 cc
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:56:48 am »
Hey Jim,

How about the 13th?

Cheers,

Tom

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:35:36 am »
Tom, I sent you a Personal Message.
Call me nearer the time

Yes, I do have the Dino driven on the youtube upload. We could go for a ride if you like, but probably not on that particular road as it is not very close to my house.

Jim

Digital2