Author Topic: WANTED: 750 Berlina front fender script emblem  (Read 8170 times)

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
WANTED: 750 Berlina front fender script emblem
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:57:19 am »

I'm in need of one of the small chromed "derivazione 750 ABARTH" script emblems for the front fender of my 1956 Fiat Abarth 750 Berlina project, just like the one shown in this photo:

Any info would be appreciated, thanks. ;)

Cheers,
 -Jeff Stich.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
Re: WANTED: 750 Berlina front fender script emblem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »
Black Bart's Emporium has a piece that says the same thing and is 200mm long for $50 (part number HA/55):

http://www.black-barts.com/page2.html

Is the fender piece you want the same thing that was also used on the decklid?  You'll want to check that what they have is what you need exactly.

Jim Oddie

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:53:57 pm »
Black Bart's Emporium has a piece that says the same thing and is 200mm long for $50 (part number HA/55):

http://www.black-barts.com/page2.html

Unfortunately, the emblem I'm looking for is not one that the repro guys offer (that I know of).

The emblem you've referred to is the rear decklid emblem. It's not the same size (much larger) and the script is not the same (reads "fiat deriv. ABARTH 750"). The HA/55 emblem looks like this:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:30:07 am by viotti600 »
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:37:34 am »
 ;D ;D I FOUND ONE! ;D ;D

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:25:13 am »
I am also happy for you .I have never see one .Mayby you can let rebuild it with Lazer and send one our two to me?
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline evannice

• 2000 cc
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »
Right on JS, can't wait to see that car when it gets out and about.  It's gonna be a treat to see one done up with all the right stuff!

Eric Van Nice

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:20:50 pm »
 It's getting closer! ;) Next comes some minor bodywork touch-up (previous owner missed a few rust spots & minor dents), then a complete repaint. The car is currently dark blue (original "Bleu Scuro #456), which just doesn't do anything for the car (or me). Got a few colors in mind, but haven't settled on a paint choice yet... I'm leaning towards doing the 2-tone paint livery as used on the Series 1 cars (single color body with side stripes & roof in a contrasting color). Then everything gets carefully reassembled (the fun part!).

How's the progress coming along on your 1300/124 Coupe? Last I saw, it was in primer getting ready for paint.

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »
I am also happy for you .I have never see one .Mayby you can let rebuild it with Lazer and send one our two to me?

Guy,
  Here's a slightly less blurry photo of what the little fender script emblem looks like. You can see how small & delicate it is by comparing it to the size of the "Gran Turismo 750 - Campione Italiano" flag emblem just to the right (the same flag emblem used on the sides of the 750 Allemano Spider/Coupe & 750 Zagato "Double Bubble").

I may look into having a few reproduced, if it's not too expensive. I'd like to have a spare or two "just in case" (you never know). I don't know of any place nearby that does this kind of work on such a small scale, though. ???

I still need a pair of the small retractable props for the engine lid (used on 750 Berlina & early 850TC Berlina). Gil Nicholls (from Canada) showed me some photos of a set of these props that he bought from you a while back (1-2 years ago?), they looked very nice! Do you still have any of these available? Price?

Cheers,
 -JS.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:50:50 pm by viotti600 »
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:16:47 pm »
good evening ,yes I have stillone set off this  prise on this moment is 125 euro .For making copy is best to to someone that do it with watercutting .The make a computer program and you can have very nice parts in stainless steel .After that you can polish it our let crome our leafit like it is .Easy ,good price and sure

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »
good evening ,yes I have stillone set off this  prise on this moment is 125 euro .

I would like to buy this, please! Can you email me with total price (shipping to California, USA included), and how to pay you?

For making copy is best to to someone that do it with watercutting .The make a computer program and you can have very nice parts in stainless steel .After that you can polish it our let crome our leafit like it is .Easy ,good price and sure

Thanks for that info, I just might look into having that done. ;)

Cheers,
  -JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline evannice

• 2000 cc
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:28:42 pm »
JS—

Wow, those photos really bring home just how many unique and fussy little trim bits were used on those cars.  Glad to see your scavenger hunt is going well.

Very light gray or beige looks very “right” on those cars, huh?  Not so sure about the pea soup green portions (and wheels), did they use other accent colors as well?

My 1300/124 is supposed to be in primer by the end of this week.  Can’t wait to get her out and about as well, in her back-to-new white with red 1300 side stripes livery.

Eric

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 08:48:15 pm »

Normal color was white with red stripes/roof - now where have we seen that combo before? (haha) I'm not sure what other color combos were offered, as I have yet to find many color photos of any original cars with their original 2-tone paint (not sure if that beige/green car has original paint, though it does work well with the upholstery, etc. & has that "vintage" look/feel to it).

I'd rather not go to a white/red color combo on my car. I'm looking for something more unique, yet still "period correct" in the look/feel, but not gaudy. A light yellow with red (ala the 850-based OT1600 Berlina) might work, but the red on the roof might look odd. For some odd reason, I really keep coming back to this color:

Maybe this color body with red side stripes & roof? With red or camel interior upholstery? Hmmm...decisions, decisions. ???

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 07:55:55 am »
good evening ,yes I have still one set off this  prise on this moment is 125 euro .

Guy,

I received the pair of Abarth 750/850TC rear decklid props yesterday, thank you. I'm very happy with them! ;D

-Jeff.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:48:54 am »
Your welcome

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 06:48:32 am »

Normal color was white with red stripes/roof - now where have we seen that combo before? (haha) I'm not sure what other color combos were offered, as I have yet to find many color photos of any original cars with their original 2-tone paint (not sure if that beige/green car has original paint, though it does work well with the upholstery, etc. & has that "vintage" look/feel to it).

I'd rather not go to a white/red color combo on my car. I'm looking for something more unique, yet still "period correct" in the look/feel, but not gaudy. A light yellow with red (ala the 850-based OT1600 Berlina) might work, but the red on the roof might look odd. For some odd reason, I really keep coming back to this color:

-JS.

This car was in Leo Aumueller's shop while I was there last year and I thought the colors were really neat.
Looks like a very early car.

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:02:28 am »
And this car was in his collection, so it's probably original and correct. Similar or same unique color in different light.

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:13 am »
 Isn't this second car the same one from the video clip that you posted earlier? I've looked over both of these photos, & both cars do not appear to be "authentic" - there are several small tell-tale clues if you look close enough (though the one from the video is slightly better). ;)

I do like the colors, they are similar to a photo I have from an old Abarth 750 Berlina brochure.

-JS.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:20:33 am by viotti600 »
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:19:48 am »
The car seen from the rear I think is a customer's  vintage rally car and could very well be a replica.
What do you find incorrect about the car seen from the front? (Yes, it is the one in the video.)
Can you tell what year it is?

Jim

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:47 am »
The car seen from the rear I think is a customer's  vintage rally car and could very well be a replica.
What do you find incorrect about the car seen from the front? (Yes, it is the one in the video.)
Can you tell what year it is?

Though it's hard to tell much from one photo, I can see that the car shown from the rear has a homemade rear emblem set using the "ABARTH" rear chrome script from the 850TC (which came after this car), & large individual "750" numbers. The fender emblem looks to be a small Abarth shield, which wasn't used there on early cars. The rear decklid is from a 600D (more louvres). The gauge pod seen in the car is the type used on the 500-based cars (widely available on today's aftermarket scene). The wheels & hubcaps are 13" Fiat 850, not 12" Fiat or Abarth. The roof should also be red, matching the side stripes.

The car seen from the front has the correct Abarth front grille/whiskers & shield/script emblems on the nose. The hood "V" ornament looks to be a reproduction item (slightly different shape/angle/pitch @ front). The rubber hood strap was not normally used until the later 850TC, but most likely added by the owner. Car has original Abarth 7-vent steel wheels, but should have either the Abarth spinner/pie-plate type hubcaps or smaller Fiat 600 Series 1 type hubcaps for this early of a car (the chromed steel hubcaps shown are from later Fiat 600/Abarth 750). The "Elaborata" fender script is wrong (should be the "derivazione 750 ABARTH" script that I started this topic about). If I remember correctly from the video clip, the tach unit & speedo unit were not Abarth 750. I now recognize the large blurry emblem I caught a glimpse of on the dash - it's a thick alloy "Fiat 600" script used on very early 600's (like on my Viotti 600's dash). Again, the roof should also be red to match the side stripes.

The sliding side windows & early style seats (vaguely recalled from video clip) would indicate a 1955 or 1956 vintage.

I find it odd that both of these cars are missing the alloy trim around the rear 1/4 windows. ???

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 06:31:37 pm »
One of those green cars does not have the side marker lights on the front fenders.  Did the early cars not have them?  And the other car has alloy drip rails.  I am not sure I have seen this before.  A few things on each car don't quite look correct, as J.S. has pointed out.

I have to say that I really love this green color (sometimes called seafoam green).  My 600 has it.  I saw Greg Schmidt's Abarth in San Diego one year when it was for sale.  I think it was a 68-ish car, and that car had the same green color and it looked outstanding IMHO.  Did the early cars have matching interior colors?  The interior in my 58 600 is still in pretty good shape and I plan to re-use it as-is (except for replacing door panel backing). 

J.S., does the color choice of your car affect the interior color for an early car?

Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 10:28:32 pm »
One of those green cars does not have the side marker lights on the front fenders.  Did the early cars not have them?

The small round sidemarker lights were likely added later (early cars did not have them originally). This was probably done to conform to later Motor Vehicle Code laws that went into effect in several European countries. My Viotti 600 didn't originally have them, but had them added later due to this very reason (Italian law). I took that into consideration when viewing these 2 cars ;)

And the other car has alloy drip rails.  I am not sure I have seen this before.

Common C-shaped metal or chromed-plastic door edge &/or rain gutter moulding, likely added by the owner (or dealership). I took that into account, as well. ;D

I have to say that I really love this green color (sometimes called seafoam green).  My 600 has it.

It's a popular & well-liked paint color, & compliments the 600 body shape very well. It's common-ness is why I won't have it on my car, haha. (i JuSt LiKe To bE DiffEreNt)

I saw Greg Schmidt's Abarth in San Diego one year when it was for sale.  I think it was a 68-ish car, and that car had the same green color and it looked outstanding IMHO.

Are you sure his car wasn't the Corsa light blue/gray color? (sorry, I haven't seen that car for a good 15+ years) Yes, it was a very nice car. I wonder where it went to?

Did the early cars have matching interior colors?  The interior in my 58 600 is still in pretty good shape and I plan to re-use it as-is (except for replacing door panel backing).  J.S., does the color choice of your car affect the interior color for an early car?

Well, there were factory-Fiat interior colors, and then there were "other options" (customer choice). Most of the very early cars had the houndstooth or plaid type materials in a color(s) that complimented the paint color, which I tend to prefer. Unfortunately, I don't have early "factory" paint/interior color documentation (yet?), except for a few 1955-56 600 sales brochures. Later cars had the typical 2-color seats you often see now (the second color was often on the top 1/4 &/or front 1/4 of the seats). Upholstery materials/colors are listed in the back of the later 600D factory Bodywork Spare Parts Catalog. There are also many optional-color upholstery kits available in the aftermarket (like on eBay these days).

Though I haven't seen documentation to verify it yet, I would think that certain paint colors got paired with certain upholstery colors from the factory. I have this info for the 850 series, but not the 600's. My own car will likely have a "period correct" upholstery type in colors that will compliment the paint colors, paired at my discretion (I do well with aesthetics, haha).

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Digital2