Author Topic: rear axles  (Read 4565 times)

Offline quinto1000tc

• 1000 cc
rear axles
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:53:04 pm »
hi

i have a fiat 600 fully tuned but i am facing a problem, which is the rear axles. i have no idea which rear axles i could use, and even, if they are difficult to find.  i know the original are to weak to support the car at higher cornering speeds.

COULD ANYBODY GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION, ON WHICH AXLES I COULD USE AND FROM WHERE I COULD GET THEM, and i there alot of modification necessary.

THANKYOU VERY MUCH

MY EMAIL IS quinten_versluis@hotmail.com

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
Re: rear axles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 07:20:43 am »
Do you mean the long axle (better called a half-shaft, I believe) that goes between the transaxle and the coupler to the stub axle? (The stub axle is the short metal piece which spins in bearings and the wheel is bolted to.)

The long axle / half shaft only transmits power to the wheel and is prone to snapping if you have a powerful engine and let the clutch out very fast with the car sitting still.  They are not under load in cornering.  You can buy stronger versions of these axles that use stronger replacements for the couplers from Scuderia Topolino.

The stub axles are the things that break during hard cornering with race tires.  This is usually due to them being too loose, so they move in the carrier and the a bending stress is put on the metal.  I am not aware of anyone making stronger versions of those, but it is a good idea.  The only way to prevent breaking is to make sure there is no excess play in their adjustment and replace them or have them checked by magnafluxing every so often.

Here's a link to my upload on how to check for looseness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8GXrm8-3o

Jim

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:53:50 pm »
Hi Quinto, I think the best person around to ask is Paul vander Heijden at Scuderia Topolino  http://www.scuderiatopolino.com/

He has a CV joint setup with stub axles that he will soon have ready.  You can change to 850 axles, flex couplings, stub axle, etc. but you would have to modify the trailing/swing arms to fit the 850 hub carriers.  As I understand it, it's not the axles that are a problem, it's the 600 stub axles that can break.

Mahlon Craft has a nice website with a technical section that explains what to do with the crush spacer to avoid premature stub axle failure.  http://users.ntplx.net/~kinukoyc/Pages/1000_tc_corsa.html

My opinion would be to take a good look at Paul's setup.  As soon as his are ready, I'm getting a set.

Gil

Offline quinto1000tc

• 1000 cc
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:39:46 pm »
thank you very much for the information

i checked pauls site already he said the CV axles that he currently has on his site are to expensive and that he is working on a new set, once the new ones are out i will DEFINETLY buy one.

thanks

Offline biketesting

• 1800 cc
  • Steamboat Colorado 1992
    • Biketesting
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 01:03:18 am »
I used the Fiat 850 setup with no problems. The 600 is too weak.
What can I test for you?

Digital2