Author Topic: Did you know Fiats made under license in Germany were called Neckars?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
I have discovered that my 1964 Fiat 600 was made in Heilbronn, Germany in what was once an NSU plant.  It's quite an interesting story, really, and one I had no idea about until recently.  The cars were officially called Neckars, and the 600 was called the Neckar Jagst

Here's a link with more info:

http://cartype.com/page.cfm?id=1788&alph=ALL&dec=ALL

Jim

Offline sorpasso1300

• 1800 cc
    • Abarth Argentina
Re: Did you know Fiats made under license in Germany were called Neckars?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:41:38 am »
Excelent information, Jim. I didn´t know this. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
Omar

Offline DaveA

• 1800 cc
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:23:22 pm »
Also made in Austria   by Steyr

http://www.zuckerfabrik24.de/fiat/fiat_lizenz.htm
that website also shows some of the NSU Fiats

Dave

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »
also Argentina,Spain,Poland,Belguim,Egypt'I am not sure off this)and where more ?
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline mike

• 695 cc
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:38 pm »
Where in Belgium?

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »
WATERLOO(near Brussels)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 02:21:10 am »
also Argentina,Spain,Poland,Belguim,Egypt'I am not sure off this)and where more ?

Guy,

Do you know what they were called in all those countries? 

I know they were called Seat when made in Spain and Zastava when made in the Czech republic. 
I believe they were called Fiat when made in Argentina.

But what about the others?

Jim

Offline DaveA

• 1800 cc
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:27:56 am »
and what other countries made 600 ?

Or were they assembled from kits supplied by Fiat ?

Dave

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 07:10:15 am »
No, I think they were built from raw sheet metal, etc in factories established in those various countries.
Although the original registration documents for my car list the engine as being a Fiat.  So maybe they built everything but the motors in Germany.
But that was probably an exception--most of the factories probably built everything.

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:03:29 am »
like now all factorys builds cars with parts from allover the world.Most where like this (still now to)Nectar and steyr puch build same cars under Fiat and there name ,Turky build now under Tofas name,I read today that Fiat and TATA are working togheter.Dont forghet Lada (VAZ) was cooperation Fiat and USSR(Russia goverment) Cisitalia build Fiat Abarth 750 and allemano,Radbourne build copy abarth from kits,Holland Importer in Den Haag(I dont remember  his name) to.Spanish Importer inBarcelona made Copy Abarth and some 126 and 127 Abarth .FSO work togheter with abarth for his 1600 and 1800 model 125p,after this with the Polonez .Mayby you now more off this co-operations ???

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »
In addition to all of the countries mentioned, the Fiat 600 was also assembled from "assembly kits" in various countries.  My right-hand-drive, 1964 Fiat was assembled in Adelaide, South Australia.

Paul Vanderheijden

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 08:18:09 pm »
Paul,

Do you know if your car was assembled at a factory and sold completed, or as a kit to the customer, who finished it?
If the former, it may have been a way to avoid the presumably higher taxes on an imported car versus parts. If the latter, it may be that Australia was like Britain and if you finished the car yourself you avoided the high VAT.

Jim

Offline trevor

• 1800 cc
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:18 pm »
Jim,

Some Fiats, eg 600  were assembled in Australia in 50/60's to avoid the prohibitive import duty that was levied on fully imported cars to protect a developing domestic car manufacturing industry. The extent of local content in these "assembled" Fiats (and a range of other makes) is unknown, but was probably restricted to a relatively small proportion of total vehicle content. There was no VAT at the time, but there was a considerable level of retail sales tax on all motor vehicles, locally manufactured/assembled or not.  VAT was implemented but a few years ago, along with a phase out of previous sales taxes. Tariffs on imported vehicles have been phasing out over a number of years now, and are now minimal. I am unaware of any "kits" being available at the time for individuals to acquire.

Attached are photos of an Australian market right hand drive Fiat 600 engine bay, stamped chassis number, and the assembler ID plate from Pressed Metal Corporation Sydney, similar to that attached to most 600's available here. The Australian assembler ID plate states local stock number and chassis number identical to stamped firewall chassis number.  The cars also had the standard Fiat rectangular plate with spares/chassis /motor numbers but that is missing from this vehicle.

Trevor

Digital2