Author Topic: Early front radiators  (Read 8663 times)

Offline trevor

• 1800 cc
Re: Early front radiators
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:57:23 pm »
Gil,
Re conventional doors on 600's:   
Madaro, in his book  Fiat 600 and Multipla (Giorgio Nada Editore), says conventional doors commenced  "dal Maggio del 1964, dalla vettura n. 1,821,001..... (loosely..from May 1964, from body number 1,821,001) . Introduction in various markets probably occured some months later where earlier assembly kits were still in stock.

Trevor

Offline batman

• 1800 cc
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 11:13:47 pm »
Thank you guys for all that typing! It seems I have the the intermediate type front alloy( large)radiator with the glass fibre surround under the front panel, unfortunately every time I go over a speed -hump fast( we have lots of these things here in the UK) I rip the thing off, lose all the water and have to get towed home!  Dave.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:27:39 pm by batman »

Offline cormonov

• 1800 cc
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 01:08:12 am »
Hi Gil, the Trevor´s info is ok and have very good details about the year and chs  numbers refered to the doors,  additionally  is important to consider in fact that the racing cars adopted  the new designs but in most of cases the chassis   are 1962 - 63 and 64  perhaps with exception of the last official cars. Anyway I can see some pictures of the official cars in  Monte Carlo with suicide doors in 1964 and with the little radiator located in front and upper position. ( see the pic  and the metal cover history in my first post) . About this in my notes  the 3rd version ( fiberglas shroud) is the evolution of the "tour the france" version  with a best located radiator in order to protect it of the damage of the 1st version (under body) and 2nd front lower position (remember the tube protection structure of the second version) .  This front upper  location is best  in look but little poor in cooling performance because the air flow make a little "S"  form to be evacuated  towards the low of the car ; maybe for this the development go to a higger rad ( and the need of cooling more powered engines of course).
bye
Cornelio.

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »
Hi Cornelio, thanks for the additional information and photos.  The radiator and shroud in the second photo is the one I am attempting to do.  I have not yet seen a closeup photo(s) or diagram(s) of how the shroud and rad. were mounted.  I think I can mount the shroud okay, and will do it as per Paul's suggestions.  I am unclear as to how the rad. itself was mounted.  I can of course invent something, but would much rather duplicate what Abarth did.  Do you know if the was a screen in front of the radiator to protect it, or was it simply exposed, like it would have been under the car?

Page 37, issue no. 1 of Cosentino's AOI book has a photo of a factory '62 850TC Corsa with the rad./shroud in your second photo (the one I am doing).  It shows the piping going through the front of the nose panel, not under it.  The piping then goes through into the footwell on the passenger side.  The piping is not under the car.  There is no bumper on the car in the photo either.

Gil

Digital2