Author Topic: Replica or Real? Abarth 850TC  (Read 20923 times)

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
Re: Replica or Real? Abarth 850TC
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 12:01:39 am »
Viotti.

Let me clear it up for you and for anyone whom might wonder in the future.

In all of my dealings, I represent the BUYER, and am thus paid for my services by the buyer.  I do after all spend the time and effort to bring the buyer together with a potential seller.  I have a simple formula.  For cars under 100,000 the charge is $1500.  For cars between 100,000 and 500,000 the charge is $2500.  For cars over 500,000 it is negotiable.

I am presented with a "commission" from a buyer for a particular kind of automobile.  If I am successful in finding what they wish, then I present both parties with an "Offer Contract" to sign.  This stipulates the terms of the offer (Price, downpayment, timing, delivery, warrantees if any, spares etc), and an place for the seller to accept the offer, so that there are no surprizes for either party.  It also has language that allows the buyer to cancel the transaction, should the documentation provided, or the car itself, not prove to be what was advertised, so long as this discovery and the resultant cancellation of offer take place before delivery of the vehicle to the new owner or his authorized representative.  In such occurence, the seller must, by contract, return any deposits.  If the sale proceeds, then I also make the arrangements for shipping the vehicle, although the cost for the actual shipping is borne by the new owner.  For vehicles located overseas this includes arranging containerization, proper export clearances in the country of export, and required import documentation including DOT and EPA clearances for US bound vehicles as may be required.

Yes there are cars for sale on my site.  In almost all cases these are not my cars !!  I place the ads there for clients who wish to sell them.

In the case of the 850TC, this car was brought to my attention by one of my clients.  The owner had placed the car for sale (that is why he had a flyer printed) and was made aware that I had a customer who was interested in purchasing it (In actuality I had 4 different parties that had expressed interest in the car, as it was coming from a VERY reputable collector/owner) and that an official offer was forthcoming.   When that offer was delivered some days later (as the vehicle owner was out of town) he had decided not to sell the car, which is of course his ultimate right.  He did not give a reason why, nor did I think it pertinent to ask why.

In another case I had a client interested in one of the cars on my site.  He paid my expenses to go and view the car in question (and take some 300 photographs) to ascertain to his satisfaction that it was a car that was as advertised.  I provided a multiple page report on my inspection for my client who duly paid for my services.  In the end the two parties remained too far apart monetarily and the transaction was not concluded.

I look forward to being able to assist others, interested in finding that particular car they wish, in the future.

Kind regards,
Paul Vanderheijden
www.scuderiatopolino.com

Offline donaldyk

• 1800 cc
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 09:05:37 am »
Having had the chance to recently work with Paul according to the scheme as outlined above I can only recommend him and stress his extreme efficiency, knowledge about anything Abarth and above all his very high business ethics.

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 04:46:08 pm »
Hello Arnould,

I've had the opportunity to sell several 1000TC cars in the last year, both replicas.  The orange and silver one (1000TC replica) and the white one (850TC style) both sold for less than 13,000 Euro.  Both cars had 4 speed gearboxes and 1050 A112 motors.  Frankly, it would not be possible to build a car from scratch for this kind of money, if you count your own time. 

At the moment I am helping a customer negotiate for a TCR automobile.  This of course is a horse of a different color.  These automobiles have commanded much higher prices.  One major collector bought one in the last couple of years for around 50,000 Euros, and the asking price for the one currently being negotiated is higher than this.  As a matter of comparison, a complete TCR motor alone will sell for the better part of 30,000 Euro.

Then again, I have another customer who has a "narrow body" 1000TC replica for sale.  This car has a close ratio 4 speed gearbox and a 1050 motor.  This car has competed in FIA sanctioned events and has an FIA Historic Vehicle Identity Form. The price for this vehicle is very close in price to the ones mentioned above.  It can also be delivered with a 5 speed transmission (for a higher price)  if you should want.  It is located in Europe.

Further to competing in the Coppa Mille or at Vernasca, a large proportion of the Abarth sedan based vehicles are replicas.  When I was at Vernasca in 2006 there was even a 1000TC with a 1300cc Fiat 128 motor competing.  In the Coppa Mille most of the vehicles are replicas and the engines must be OHV Fiat based units.  Of course, depending on the Division that you wish to compete in, the cylinder head configuration will vary.  Coppa Mille Div. 2 requires a single 2 barrel carburetor, where as Div. 4 allows you to use an 8 port head and dual 2-barrel carburetors.  While the racing is "gentlemanly" for the most part (you always get one or two hot-shots and learn to avoid them) it is spirited, BUT accidents do happen.  I can think of at least two authentic Abarths that sustained significant body damage in the last year.  For this reason alone I would consider using a replica is a more realistic alternative.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Paul Vanderheijden
paul@scuderiatopolino.com

Digital2