Author Topic: what transaxle oil do you use?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
what transaxle oil do you use?
« on: November 14, 2007, 06:52:06 pm »
What oil are people using in their transaxles?
The original Fiat  spec was for SAE 90 EP oil, which is an obsolete specification.
Paul of Scuderia Topolino recommends Red Line MTL, but it is only a 70-80 wt oil.
They also make a MT90 oil, which is a 75W-90 wt, but it probably will not give as easy shifting.

What do people on this forum use?

Jim Oddie

Offline Abarthreplika

• 1300 cc
Re: what transaxle oil do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:02:52 pm »

I use Castrol EP 90, which is very good, and dont damage the syncromeshrings

Kind Regards
Max

Offline Abarthreplika

• 1300 cc
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:05:45 pm »

Be sure it is API: GL4

Max

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:42:36 am »
I decided to go with what Paul Van der Heijden recommends, the Red Line MTL.  I had put in 75W90 GL5 oil just as a way of flushing the gearbox of  some residue on the bottom of inside of the case,and the MTL is much thinner.  Even with the engine not running you can feel the gear lever moves more easily.

Both Red Line MTL and MT90 are GL4 oils.

Jim

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:20:40 pm »
Jim,

The Fiat 600 gearbox is a combination of gear case and differential using the same fluid.  As such the trick is to find a fluid that has porperties that will be beneficial to both.  The differential gears are a bevel gear arrangement (NOT HYPOID) and therefore I would stay away from any gearbox oils that have Extra Pressure (EP) additives.  These super slippery elements are not required for a bevel gear system and inhibit the proper functioning of the synchro rings in the transmission portion of the transaxle.  Thus my recommendation for Redline MTL.  It has the required lubrication qualities for the gearbox portion and sufficient shock film layer properties to work with the bevel gear differential.

Paul Vanderheijden

www.scuderiatopolino.com

Digital2