Author Topic: Coolant tanks  (Read 6269 times)

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
Coolant tanks
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:24:35 am »
Here is a photo of a couple of original Abarth coolant expansion/fill tanks I have.  One is out of of my 1300/124 and I am not sure exactly what the other is for.  Possibly an OT?  Does anyone know for sure?  J.S. expressed an interest in seeing a pic of these.

Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
Re: Coolant tanks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:07:35 am »
Gil,

I'm assuming the tank on the right is the one you're using for your car? It's just like the tank on Eric's 1300/124, as well as one in a photo I have of another 1300 in Italy. The small outlet sticking straight out on the lower/right is for the hose to the bypass on the external thermostat.

The tank on the left looks like one from an OTS/OTR1000, but the top hose outlet is different. On that car, the top outlet pipe has a similar outlet, but then curves to the left (towards the front of the car). The small outlet is also on the bottom/right edge of the tank, like on this tank you've shown (tank on left). The hose on it connects either to a bypass port on the shorty-type water pump or maybe the heater? See pics attached below...

I'm seeking an OTS/OTR type tank or one similar. ;)

-JS.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:08:38 am by viotti600 »
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 05:51:13 pm »
Hi J.S., the tank on the left is actually the one that was in my 1300/124.  I got the other tank from Steven F. and can't recall what it was supposed to be for.  It sounds like I should swap tanks then?  The one from Steven has a patch brazed on where the small outlet pipe is, so it looks like either one is not quite correct.  I could restore/modify either tank to the way it should be.   I wonder if my tank was replaced (why though?) or if is for the earlier thermostat setup (as noted by Eric)?  Or could this be one of those Abarth things where they just grabbed what was on hand at the time in the factory?

Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:53:25 pm »
  I don't know what the "earlier thermostat setup" looks like or where it's mounted on the engine, so I can't say. It's possible a previous owner of the tank you got from Steven had to repair a leak &/or rusty spot, hence the brazing work? I don't know what the other tank you have is from - it's a mix of 2 styles: OTR/OTS small bottom hose port & 1300/124 top hose port. Strange!

As for the brazed-up tank, I was only letting you know that it seems to be the "correct" style tank compared to all other 1300's I've seen. ;)

If you decide to swap tanks in your car, I'd be interested in the one with the curved small bottom hose port. I'm thinking I could probably just have the top port reshaped to the curved OTS/OTR type by a local radiator shop. I have plans for a pseudo-OTR Berlinetta type car, and this would be a nice touch to add.

-JS.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:55:16 pm by viotti600 »
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:52:34 am »
JS, the coolant tank looks to be the same as the one in the photo Eric posted here (see below).  The early cooling system in the 1300/124s appears to have used the early 124 sedan cooling setup, according to Eric.  Would the smaller outlet pipe have gone to the heater core?  My car is a '66, so maybe that was an early model?

Gil

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:55:23 am »
JS, BTW, my car has a later 1438cc engine in it along with the later style cooling setup, so I do not know how the "early" system would be set up.  I have just not had time yet to get near my car :(

Gil

Offline evannice

• 2000 cc
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 04:29:00 am »
Hi Gil,

I was calling the external bypass T-stat setup "later" because it is in the photos of the series 2 1300/124 (as well as on mine, 1967 build year).  I see the in-head T-stat setup on other photos of series 1 cars.  Maybe they were not "later" and earlier", maybe just different.  Sorry I can't see where the smaller lower hose from the header tank goes in those photos.  I'll think on that and look at some TC diagrams.

Eric, San Diego

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 04:52:42 am »
JS, the coolant tank looks to be the same as the one in the photo Eric posted here (see below).  The early cooling system in the 1300/124s appears to have used the early 124 sedan cooling setup, according to Eric.

Aaahhh...now I see the different applications. The tank #1 on the left (currently in your car) is for use with the in-head type thermostat unit, and the other tank #2 on the right (like currently on Eric's car) is for the external/3-way thermostat unit. Both 1300/124. Got it! ;)

-Jeff.

Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline evannice

• 2000 cc
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 04:58:03 pm »
   I have plans for a pseudo-OTR Berlinetta type car-JS.

Way way cool.  Can't wait to see that one!

Digital2