Author Topic: how to know if your rear wheel may fall off soon  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
how to know if your rear wheel may fall off soon
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:30:09 am »
I now have my Coppa Mille racer from Germany, and when I checked the rear wheels for play the right one was very loose. The left one had no play at all.
I have posted some video on youtube that shows how you measure how much play there is in the axle. There should be none---you should not feel any motion when grab the wheel at the top and bottom and try to rock it back and forth or pull in it and out.  If the wheel is loose the axle may be getting weakened and may break under cornering.

Read the text with the youtube post to see what to do about the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8GXrm8-3o

Jim Oddie

Offline evannice

• 2000 cc
Re: how to know if your rear wheel may fall off soon
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:49 pm »
Nice looking car, Jim.  And thanks for posting the tip.  Hope to meet you at one of the rear engine Fiat get-togethers when mine is a little more sorted out.

Eric, San Diego

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
Re: how to know if your rear wheel may fall off soon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:47:24 am »
Thanks, Eric.

I'm looking forward to seeing your car too.  And I'm sure Merkel will want to get your cars together for some photos--not often you see two 1300/124s in the same place.

Jim

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
update on how to know if your rear wheel may fall off soon
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:33:27 am »
I took my stub axles to be magniflux tested for cracks, and one of them does have a crack.  I don't have them back yet so I don't know if was the one that was loose or not.  So if you race your car or have wide, sticky tires you should get your axles magnifluxed.

Jim

Digital2