Author Topic: what were the differences between 850 and 1000 TC?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
what were the differences between 850 and 1000 TC?
« on: February 26, 2006, 04:32:11 am »
Besides the engine size, what were the differences between the 850 and the 1000 TC? 

Was the A-arm, coil-over front suspension only on 1000 TC's?  Was it on all 1000 TC's, or just the factory racers?

Did the 1000 TCR have a different instrument cluster than the TC?

Did some of the TCR's have dry sump lubrication?  Does anyone have a picture of what it looked like, or can they describe it to me?

Thank you,

Jim Oddie

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
Re: what were the differences between 850 and 1000 TC?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 10:06:04 pm »
Hello Jim,

Because of the way that classes were structured in Italy at the time, Abarth competed in a number of classes including 850 and 1000cc.

Thus there were both TC and TCR cars made for both classes.  Some of the smaller displacement TC cars may have been converted to 1 litre at some point.  I know of at least one 850 TCR, owned by a friend in Calif, which started life as an 850 and later was sold as a 982cc powered TCR.  Obviously the two motors had different bore/stroke combinations to meet the class displacement limits. 

The same would likely be true for the front suspension, although there may have been slight variations on a theme.  I have seen homologation drawings that show a coilover using a reinforced, standard upper shock bracket.  Yet I have also seen original TCR cars that have a unibal arrangement, set in a fabricated pocket in the inner fender.

I am not aware of any TCR cars that were raced with dry sump lubrication by the factory.  Now, having said that, just as the factory made one car with double a-arm rear suspension (which was subsequently disallowed by the FIA stewards), they may have tried to sneak one in with a dry sump system at some point in time.  I know that the 1000 SP (using a bialbero motor based on the AH block) was equipped with a dry sump system, so who knows for sure if they did not apply it to the TCR at some point in time.  I have never seen any homologation papers for a dry sump system applicable to TC or TCR cars.  I have never seen any photos, but I could be wrong.

You must be reading my mind.  I have a project underway at the moment with a 982cc motor, with a PBS head, fuel injection, coil-on-plug distributorless ignition and a dry sump system.  The fuel injection system uses throttle bodies from a BMW motorcycle,  with 8 Weber Pico injectors.  Four injectors are located near the head, and the other four are located above the velocity stacks (shower injectors).  The idea is for the injectors mounted on the head to be used at lower RPM and part throttle and then to sequence to the shower injectors at higher RPMs/full throttle.  All of this is controlled by an Emerald M3D ECU.  The ECU also controls the spark to the four coil-on-plug assemblies which are fired in a wasted spark system.  The dry sump system consists of a multiple section external pump with at least one scavenge section and one pressure section.  The dry sump pan comprises the top half of a PBS split oil pan and the bottom is machined from a solid piece of aluminum billet and a large piece of aluminum cast plate.  These two items are them welded together.  The standard PBS valve cover is machined for an o-ring where it seals against the head casting. 

All original orifices to the block head are sealed with plugs or o-rings.  It is expected that the scavenge sections of the external oil pump will both evacuate the dry sump pan, but also generate between 7-9 inches of Hg vacuum.  This vacuum will be controlled by a vacuum bleed valve located on the engine block.

Regards,

Paul Vanderheijden
www.scuderiatopolino.com

Digital2