Author Topic: classic / Abarth car event itinerary  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
classic / Abarth car event itinerary
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:09:39 pm »
Hi, everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Germany and Italy which will include a lot of car and Abarth events and collections.

Does anyone know of any events, collections, or museums I am not including?

Below is the itinerary.

June 13 wed    leave LAX at 1750 on BA, $1389
June 14 thurs   arrive Frankfurt 1635, eat, go to sleep
June 15 Fri   sleep in if we want to, pick up car, drive 2 hr to Nuerburgring --setup day there for racers. Meet Coppa Mille racers.
June 16 sat   1st day of OLDTIMER FESTIVAL
June 17 sun   2nd day of OF. After, drive 1 h to Trier
June 18 mon   See Porta Nigra, cathedral, Roman baths, throne room.  After lunch drive 1h 45m to Verdun--- see battlefield and museum
June 19 tues    Finish Verdun, then drive 2h 38m to Speyer-Sinsheim hotel and see some sights. Possibly dinner w Barbel depending on arrival time.
June 20 wed    See SPEYER-SINSHEIM CAR AND PLANE MUSEUMS, then drive 44 min to hotel near Porsche museum.
June 21 thurs   See PORSCHE MUSEUM AND FACTORY TOUR at 1000 (if not, see Ludwigsburg palace) then  < 1hr to Beutelsbach, Landgut Burg  Stay in Beutelsbach/Endersbach?
June 22 fri    drive 2.5 hrs to Munich, take BMW MUSEUM AND FACTORY TOUR at 1315.  Then see Nymphemburg  Palace?, overnight outside of city center--take bus in if desire.
June 23 sat   drive 1h 44m to Nuremberg-- NORISRING GERMAN TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP  and other races today and tomorrow. See museum of Nazi Party Rallies and Trial courtroom (tour on the hour 1-4 in German w English info) sometime today or tomorrow (on grounds of racetrack area.)
June 24 sun    Norisring races and Nazi museums continued
June 25 mon   see AUMUELLER ABARTH COLLECTION in Bamberg, drive 1.5 hrs on country roads to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.   Overnight there. 
June 26 tues   drive 3h 20m to Mulhouse, France. See cathedral and other city sights.
June 27 wed   see MULHOUSE COLLECTION   
June 28 thurs  drive 1h 10m to Solothurn, Switzerland to see ABARTH COLLECTION OF ENGLEBERT MOELL, ex-Abarth driver who lost use of his legs in          a crash driving an Abarth. Then 3.5 hrs to Milan, see ALFA ROMEO MUSEUM, cathedral, Sforza castle.         
June 29 fri   maybe see some more Milan, then drive 1h 20min to area of  VERNASCA SILVER FLAG HILLCLIMB-scrutineering begins 3pm
June 30 sat   1st hillclimb run begins 1100, second at 3:30
July 1   sun   third hillclimb run at 10:30, then done at ca noon. Drive 4h to Bologna.
July 2  mon   see Bologna
July 3  tues    drive 1h 40m to San Marino, see MARANELLO ROSSO COLLECTION, overnight
July 4  wed    drive 2h 45m to Assisi, see churches. Overnight.
July 5  thurs    drive 2 h 20 min to Rome, stay at outside edge of subway system, take it to city.  Afternoon and evening in Rome.
July 6    fri   Rome
July 7  sat    Drive 3 h to Siena. Overnight
July 8  sun    In late afternoon drive 4 h  back to near Linate airport area--Sunday, so little traffic
July 9  mon    leave Milan Linate at 1130, arrive LA 1900

On another note, we expect my car to be loaded onto a ship in Rotterdam next week:\

Offline DaveA

• 1800 cc
Re: classic / Abarth car event itinerary
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:24:37 pm »
The Porsche museum is very small.....maybe 15 or so cars,
new Museum is being built across the street,

Mercedes museum is much much better,

Sinshiem is OK, 2 buildings , one with WW2 stuff the other with the cars,
but many of the cars are only there for "cheap storage"  and are not  perfect.

quanity not quality !

Technical Museum in Munich is great ,  like the Smithsonian

Swiss transport museum I think is in Bern....

I think you are trying too hard  with so many things to look at ,
slow down , enjoy the countryside and plan on coming back next year to do the  other half of things you will not get to :)

I will be  in Germany the last  2 weeks in June too.....

Dave

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:41:49 am »
Thanks, Dave,

I know what you're saying--it does seem a bit hectic.
But I enjoy driving in Europe, and since there will be two of us to do it, I think it will be OK.

Jim

Offline DaveA

• 1800 cc
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:43:54 am »
I have been to Europe more times than I can count ,

It justs takes longer to do things then you expect,
 traffic is one thing , also holidays you did not expect,

At least its easier (and more expensive) with the Euro :)

Anyway I think thats a great plan ,  you will need a vacation when you get home !

Dave 

Digital2