Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 23204 times)

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
Re: Headlights
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 07:42:02 pm »
Hi Jeff, I guess I will have to wait until I get my clips to see exactly how it all fits together.  What you say would make more sense, as that way, you can replace a headlight without having to unbolt the complete headlight/bucket assembley from inside the fender.

No problem on the later headlights.  I was thinking anyway, that I don't expect to be doing much night time driving in my car, so having the later quartz bulbs wouldn't be a huge loss as far as lighting level goes.  I will probably get a few spare ba20d style bulbs.  Would "funky" get you a few more points at a car show???  I think putting together these headlight assemblies should be a special award category on its own!!

The Carello number on the front face of my headlight is  00.183.700.  There's also some other numbers on the face - "IGM 0726 P" and "IGM 3751 LA".  On the rear, there's some other numbers - "lente 00.183.700", riflettore 00.183.010" and "portalampade 50.010.751" (the portalampade number is hard to read).  There's one more number on the rear - K11073 (35/35).  Could 35/35 be wattage?

I have seen Selma brand headlights for sale that look the same as the Carello ones.  I wonder if these are completely interchangeable?

BTW, the headlights I have now are one piece.  You think there is a version to fit my style of bucket that has a separate reflector part?

Other 500/600 headlights I have seen on ebay do have the different bulb retainer on the back.  They have two tabs to hold the bulb in place.  Geesh, between the 500 & 600 and the different years/versions, there does seem to be quite a number of different headlights that were used.  It's sure nice to have a source of this arcane/esoteric info. around!  :)

Another thing, I assume that one has to be careful to get headlights for LHD cars if used in North America?  Ie., don't buy them from Britain or down under?

Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 11:15:54 pm »
I will probably get a few spare ba20d style bulbs.

If so, you might want to check out the great (low) price on these bulbs:

http://bulbster.com/lightbulbs/6245b-p-2931.html?zenid=05b33811361bb24d81f9f7790d3654ec

The Carello number on the front face of my headlight is  00.183.700.  There's also some other numbers on the face - "IGM 0726 P" and "IGM 3751 LA".  On the rear, there's some other numbers - "lente 00.183.700", riflettore 00.183.010" and "portalampade 50.010.751" (the portalampade number is hard to read).  There's one more number on the rear - K11073 (35/35).  Could 35/35 be wattage?

I'll have to go back & get the numbers off of my headlights for comparison - forgot to write them down. The"lente" number is for the clear glass lense only, "riflettore" is for the silver reflector part (the back half of the light), and "portalampade" is for the lightbulb socket. The 35/35 probably is the wattage, these Carello's may have been for a 500 or Topolino. The 600's use 45/40w bulbs instead, so that's what you'll want to get.

I have seen Selma brand headlights for sale that look the same as the Carello ones.  I wonder if these are completely interchangeable?

Selma(?), Siem & Elma can all be similar to Carello but may have slight variations, like in the socket retainer design (wire arch vs. side tabs), the lamp fitting clips (on early models) or rims (on later models) & the shape of the trim rings, etc..

BTW, the headlights I have now are one piece.  You think there is a version to fit my style of bucket that has a separate reflector part?

The old style headlights are usually sealed together at the lense/reflector joint, but can be (carefully) cut apart if needed (the old parts books show them as seperate parts, but the later books show them as one unit). Like if you break or crack a lense & happen to have a good lense (or maybe a spare old lamp with a broken/rusty reflector but a good lense), you can cobble together a good useable lamp from the various pieces. The same can be done if you just need a good reflector piece. That's why I'm interested in the pair of early 600 clear lenses you have - since those are specific to my application (cars), they'd be nice to have available "just in case". ;)

I looked at the spare NOS reflector I have - unfortunately it is pitted/bubbling beneath the silver. Probably not noticeable with a lense fitted, but...pitted/bubbling nonetheless.

If the extra set of 5" Carello's I have are the same as yours, would you be interested in trading them for your early 600 lenses?

Another thing, I assume that one has to be careful to get headlights for LHD cars if used in North America?  Ie., don't buy them from Britain or down under?

Yes. But I wouldn't necessarily exclude those countries as a source. Sometimes LHD parts find their way there haphazardly (like if someone imports a Fiat & a few spares, or buys the wrong parts from overseas). I usually just ask the seller to verify or for a photo of the lense (fluting patterns are different).

-Jeff.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
Re: Headlights - continued
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 05:44:45 pm »
I now have all of the headlight parts, except for the bulbs and sockets.  I am having a little trouble figuring out just how the rings attach to the body.  I have included photos below that show new fenders I have, the rings, and the clip that is supposed to be used to hold the ring in place.  The new fenders I have have 3 small square holes.  It appears that these are for the little clips?  When I put them in, I just can't get the ring to fit on.  Is there a trick to this, have I got the wrong parts, or am I missing something?  I have not been able to find a parts diagram to show how this all fits together.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work exactly?  It also seems to be that if you need to change a bulb, you have to undo/remove the ring.  It seems like a tricky operation to do, and definitely not for a ham-fisted amateur mechanic!

Thanks,
Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
Re: Headlights - continued
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 01:47:49 am »
The new fenders I have have 3 small square holes.  It appears that these are for the little clips?  When I put them in, I just can't get the ring to fit on.

Those square holes are not for the clips. They are for a plastic bushing & long screw used on the base ring on a different type of (7") headlight assemblies. (Your replacement fenders are probably for later-model 600D/E cars).

Is there a trick to this, have I got the wrong parts, or am I missing something?  I have not been able to find a parts diagram to show how this all fits together.

If I recall, the clips should slip onto the rim-edge of the bucket shown, with the little spring-tab facing out (I think) in order to provide a tension-fit against the trim ring once you install it. I can't tell how much space there is between the bucket edge & the outer/inner edges of the trim ring...the tab might face in if that's what's closest?

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 04:23:28 am »
Aaaargh!  With your latest comments J.S., I've had a fresh look at the parts.  I still can't get it.  No matter which way I turn the clips around, or where I put them, nothing works.  It makes sense that the rings would clip onto to the inner bucket so that the thing bolts into the body.  It looks like maybe the clips ARE shaped to fit onto the inner bucket (see the photo below.  But this way, the clips are too far away from the ring.  The clips have two "barbs" as if the were meant to grab onto something?

Help! Any more thoughts??  The rings otherwise fit nicely against the headlights/buckets. ggggggggggggggggggggggg

Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:21 am »
  I think you have the clip on the wrong bucket. It looks like you've put it on the black intermediary bucket - it should go on the edge of the outermost bucket the fits into the fender (the bucket shown in your first photo http://www.abarth-gmr.be/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1919.0;attach=13192;image ).

The barbs on the clip are meant to keep the clip securely in place once it's pushed all the way down onto the rim/edge of the outer bucket.

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline zippyfiat

• 2000 cc
Re: Headlights - That's it!
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2007, 03:12:05 pm »
J.S., you da man!!  Finally - that is how it works.  MANY THANKS!!!

That seems like an odd sort of way to attach something.  It means any time you need to replace a bulb, you have to fiddle with popping out those clips.  I can only imagine that with the barbs on them, they won't come out easily and that the ring could become damaged.  And I see that the bulbs have a very low rated life which doesn't help.  Mind you, I don't expect to be doing much night driving in the car.

And, I guess I can weld up the holes in the new fender.

Gil

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
Re: Headlights - That's it!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2007, 12:47:52 pm »
That seems like an odd sort of way to attach something.  It means any time you need to replace a bulb, you have to fiddle with popping out those clips.  I can only imagine that with the barbs on them, they won't come out easily and that the ring could become damaged.

You don't need to pull the clips off when you need to change a bulb. You simply pull/pry the alloy outer rim out/up/forward at the top or bottom, slip the rim edge past the tab on the clip, then pull the rim off. BTW, the clips are often installed one at the top & one at the bottom of the bucket edge.

And I see that the bulbs have a very low rated life which doesn't help.  Mind you, I don't expect to be doing much night driving in the car.

Bulb life may depend on the brand. That one brand may be so inexpensive because they may not last as long as a different brand. Osram & Narva are brands I have used on my Viotti. A little more expensive at around $15-$20.

PS - I found my extra set of new 5" Carello headlights - check your email. ;)

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Digital2