Author Topic: Best 600 upgrades with other model Fiat parts ?  (Read 15160 times)

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
Re: Best 600 upgrades with other model Fiat parts ?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 11:34:42 am »
I have Zastva brake aster cilinder in my car (zastava 750). I have installed disk brakes in both front and rear and I have no problems. The braking is excelent and the pump has the power required for braking. I have not used a proportioning valve so far but I will in the future, although I have not experienced or noticed the rear wheels locking before the front ones. Maybe it is because the drums had all the same size and the calipers I use also have same size front and rear and that way I use the pumps stock adjustment. Maybe when I change to Fiat Uno turbo front disk brakes I will need a proportioning valve.

Chris
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
Re: Best 600 upgrades with other model Fiat parts ?
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 02:32:23 pm »
Gil,

I use one of the "screw type" proportioning valves.  Once adjusted, they generally do not need to be touched.  The only time I touch mine in the race car is if I am racing in the rain.  I then add more front bias (along with softer shocks).  Makes the suspension more compliant and the tire/road interface easier to manage.

Chris D. 

Under normal driving the Zastava master cylinder installation works great.  In regards to rear wheel lock up, you have not tried hard enough I guess.  Remember that in hard braking vehicle weight is shifted towards the front axle.  The standard, static weight distribution is 60/40 (rear/front).  Under braking you will transfer at least 10% more to the front axle, so at BEST it would be 50/50.  Only a few problems with this argument.  1)  Yes the distribution is 50/50, but because of "chassis dive" the rear wheels have greatly reduced tire/road contact patch (that swing axle problem again). 2) If the braking is in preparation for a corner, the there will be chassis roll and only one rear wheel will have decent contact.  The light wheel will lock up easily and the wheel still on the ground now has to deal with both deceleration and cornering forces.  It is my view that you must start out with less than 50/50 brake bias if you are to manage the dynamics of braking and cornering well.

Re: the Subaru starter.  1980 Subaru sedan or station wagon, 1800cc motor, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive.  Also some models of the Subaru BRAT.  There were two models of starter used and they are the same except for one item.  One has a "nose housing" and the other does not.  You want the one WITHOUT the nose housing.  The adapter I have in stock here.

Regards to all

Paul

Digital2