Author Topic: Anyone have Zagato 750 restoration pictures or website?  (Read 12915 times)

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
Re: Anyone have Zagato 750 restoration pictures or website?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 02:11:03 pm »
dear jim,

you are absolutely right; technically it is not called a RM...and it is exactly as the car pictured on page 126 of the Cosentino ABARTH GRAPHIC CAR GUIDE, i would think, after going through all litterature available, that not to many of his shape (upright lights, no radiator)  have been produced. i know more or less the cars history (SWITZERLAND IS A SMALL COUNTRY) , it seems that pete ettmueller collected it late 1960 in italy at the factory and drove it back to switzerland, he told me, it was quite refreshing to drive  with open windows to hear the nice sound... someone unfortunately stole the ID plate (as souvenir?) and to make room for exhaust  cut out the metalsheet, so i am still doing research to have the "real"  chassis number. i'd rather have no chassis plate than a fake one...:-)

looking forward to get news...

peter

Offline grant gauld

• 2000 cc
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »
Peter,
          I am sure you know...but there may be a chalk number on the inside of the door skins and under the dash.This may have a clue to your chassis number ?
 I visisted last month a Zagato DB that i sold to Australia.It has a couple of interesting repairs on it,
1 twin radiator sections in the front 
 2 a repair for a race fuel filler.
 Also interestingly some red 'metallic' paint was found under some body seal.'Old' red metallic paint.Does anyone know as a fact that it came in this color ?

Grant Gauld
 Ps yes it DID cost a fortune to have the body prepared.

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:54 pm »
Peter,
          I am sure you know...but there may be a chalk number on the inside of the door skins and under the dash.This may have a clue to your chassis number ?

The hand-written number on the backs of the interior trim panels/etc. is not the actual chassis number. It is the identification number given to it by the coachbuilder to make sure all of the trim bits go with the car during assembly.

On rare occasion this number will match the last digits of the chassis number, but that is by sheer coincidence. (If it does match, go buy yourself a lottery ticket, because you're damn lucky! LOL).

Though the muffler panel sheetmetal is gone, if the vertical front firewall sheetmetal is still there, this is where you'll find the original Fiat chassis number stamping - it is to the left of the engine (exhaust side), just like on a regular Fiat 600D chassis. Look to the left of the hole where the throttle cable comes through the firewall.

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 11:20:45 pm »
Doesn't your registration or ownership paperwork have a number?
The 1964 850TC replica I bought from Germany had a booklet that had the chassis, motor, and all the previous owners listed
Or do you not trust it to be correct?

Jim

Offline grant gauld

• 2000 cc
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 11:49:34 pm »
Jeff,
       I never said it was the chassis number written on the trim pieces ??.I said it was a 'clue'.When researching a cars history,all 'clues' help.
       I once saw an Abarth with papers of original sale that noted the trim number amongst a whole lot of other specific information.
          Grant

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 12:24:26 am »
Jeff,
       I never said it was the chassis number written on the trim pieces ??.I said it was a 'clue'.When researching a cars history,all 'clues' help.

Yes, I understand, but...

I once saw an Abarth with papers of original sale that noted the trim number amongst a whole lot of other specific information.

There can be more than one car over a run of similar-bodied cars produced by a coachbuilder that has that same "trim number" on it.  Let's say coachbuilder "X" makes a first batch of cars of a certain body type. Then a second batch a little later. Then a third batch another year or two later.

From what I've learned, sequential coachbuilder ID numbering over an entire series run wasn't always the norm, so a car from the first batch might have the handwritten ID number of  "32" on its' trim items, and another similar-bodied car from the third batch (made 1 or more years later ) might coincidentally have that same "32" ID number used on its' trim items.

Most of this info isn't really related to the actual chassis number, except for being a nice addition to the owners' "personal history" file on the car. ;)

The original Fiat 600D chassis number is the chassis number being asked for (and can often help verify the year of the car), which is why I mentioned it.

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:59 pm »
another little info about model names...check the FIA homologation of the 1000 bialbero.

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 06:34:18 pm »
Notice that it states "Licenza Zagato" for the coachbuilder.

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 07:04:31 pm »
and notice that it says  coupe record monza...

Offline naegeli

• 2000 cc
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 07:10:53 pm »
maybe an answer  for jim; no problem about trusting anyone here. it is not like with a 850 where you take that 600 shell etc. you know the story. i wish the guy good look to try to fake for instance the system of windscreen  and rearwindow frames and to replicate 1:1...

paperworks: its lost but can be retrieved via official files from customs and registration office, not as easy as in italy for instance....

peter.

Digital2