Author Topic: water tubes  (Read 7932 times)

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
Re: water tubes
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 09:32:50 pm »
Multiplas didn't have a front radiator or a water/coolant type heater, did they? . Why would they have water lines inside? 
If someone added a front radiator they may have put them inside, but it's a bad idea.

Jim

Offline DaveA

• 1800 cc
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 03:19:19 am »
Multiplas do have a front radiator....

small  but its there :)

Dave

Offline Pantdino

• 2000 cc
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:11 am »
I guess it makes sense-- with the extra weight and wind resistance I guess they figured the throttle would be floored 100% of the time.

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 09:20:42 am »
 The small coolant-fed "front radiator" in the Multipla is actually just the interior heater (core) - similar to the heater design used in the Fiat 850.

-JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 10:05:19 am »
yes ,because you have a heater in front ,our also int midle of the car and this is back apoof that when you have the tubes under water will be colder
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 09:48:17 am »
I always say for road driving its to small ,for circuit its Ok

The car is for road use. But 2 radiators are too much for te A112 water pump to circulate the water. What is the correct dimentions for the front radiator?
Notice that I have an oil cooler too. In that case the radiator I have now is enaugh?
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline guy moerenhout

• Administrator
  • 3000 cc
    • www.abarth-gmr.be
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 08:38:04 pm »
yes ,because you have a heater in your car and tubes are protected
______abarth  gmr-team ______
___http://www.abarth-gmr.be ___

Offline viotti600

• 2000 cc
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 11:26:26 am »
The car is for road use. But 2 radiators are too much for the A112 water pump to circulate the water. What is the correct dimensions for the front radiator?
Notice that I have an oil cooler too. In that case the radiator I have now is enough?

An old (1998) Berni Motori catalog I have shows their replica pre-1965 front oil/water radiator is 18x75cm, and their post-1965 front oil/water radiator is 20x78cm. It does not say the thickness of the radiator. There are a few versions available material-wise; copper, 3-row copper or alloy (aluminum). Hope this helps as a starting point? ;)

Cheers,
  -JS.
Jeff Stich
Norco, CA, USA

Offline ChrisD

• 2000 cc
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:17 am »
Thanks JS. I have that catalog too. I have seen the pictures and to tell you the truth I don't belive the radiators are thicker than 40mm. My radiator is custom made. I measured a A112 radiator and desighned mine in order to keep the volum of the radiator as close as possible to the A112 radiator. Considering that the undercar copper tubes help a bit in cooling I hope I will not have any problems. I would just like to know what dimentions other 1000TC owner have as a double check

Thanks
Chris
Fiat 600 Abarth

Offline Paul vander Heyden

• 2000 cc
    • Scuderia Topolino
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 04:55:55 am »
Hello all,

The water tubes to/from the front radiator need only be slightly larger than the smallest orifice in the water system.  Usually this is the orifice in the thermostat when it is open.  The tubes can be made of either aluminum or copper.  On my race car I use 22mm ID aluminum tubing with AN-16 fittings welded on.  All of the flex lines are AN-16.  I have never had an overheating problem.

I also run only the front radiator with two small fans for slow speed work.  One modification that I made was to replace the small petcock on the top of the front radiator with a small copper line running from there back to the expansion tank in the engine compartment.  This allows the system to self-bleed itself of air, as the expansion tank is the highest point in the system.

The A112 waterpump should be easily able to handle any pumping requirement.  Do not remove the thermostat.  It is there for three reasons.

1. faster engine warm up.
2. restrict flow speed of the water - remember that if the hot water rushes through the radiator it will not have sufficient time to shed the heat.  All you are doing is sending still hot water back to the engine to get even hotter.  Even if  want to remove the thermostat, replace it with a flat plate with a  1/2  to 5/8 hole.
3. The restriction of the thermostat/blanking plate allows the water pump to build slightly more pressure in the down side of the thermostat (in the block/head).  We all know that pressurized water systems can take more temperature before they boil.  Hence raising the pressure in the block will raise the boiling point of water in the block.

BTW - The absolute best conductor of heat is pure water.  The worst conductor of heat is ethelyne glycol (anti-freeze).  The maximum percentage of anti-freeze (should be called anti-boil) should be no more than 25% of system volume.

Hope this helps

Paul Vanderheijden
www.scuderiatopolino.com

Digital2